Michael Kelly Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 21, 2004.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been looking at a Michael Kelly bass, and if they're good enough for Matt Bissonette (Joe Satriani) they must be more than good enough for me. I heard a sound clip of Matt playing one and fell in love, it's a 34" scale which is a major plus for me, acoustic electric with Fishman pickup, I'm looking at the bottom of the line model, the ST-AB. From what I can tell, the only major differences between this model and anything above it is fancier woods and inlays. Spruce top, mahogany with dots seems fine.

Is there any tonal advantage to a rosewood back or flamed maple top/back? I'm looking at getting one for a slightly more acoustic tone as I'm working with a group that's really laid back and mellow. I also play church retreats where amplification isn't an option and I'd rather play bass than guitar anyway.

Now, I can't see a bad thing about these, but I found out these are made by the same company that makes Traben basses, which, again I've heard nothing about, but their trendy looks somewhat irk me.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So the question, are the Michael Kelly's as good as they seem?