1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Michael Kelly Bridge Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thegeneral07, Apr 28, 2009.

1. thegeneral07

thegeneral07

Apr 28, 2009
    I recently picked up a Michael Kelly acoustic bass project for dirt cheap but can't find a replacement bridge anywhere, especially a 5-string. Any help on where I might find one or who could make me one or any specs on the bridge would be great.

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I have a 5 string club deluxe project, now up & running quite well, thank you!

I pulled the Fishman electronics, replaced w/my own 3 head passive SBT system, now it sounds spookily like an upright! Also installed a JLD bridge system, which opened it up some; I'll shave the bracing, when I get some time, which will make even more difference.

I asked them about the neck joint; they *swear* it's a hide glue dovetail joint, but I have my doubts. I'm thinking about pulling the neck, and converting it to a bolt-on joint, sooner than later. Howbout that Babicz adjustable neck, on the current models?

Did you get your on ebay, from riceagemusic?

3. thegeneral07

thegeneral07

Apr 28, 2009
    I tried contacting Michael Kelly but they wouldn't sell me one and it's not under warranty. I made a bridge for mine but I am having trouble locating the saddle location. Does anyone know the compensation amount for an acoustic bass guitar. I've read that for an acoustic guitar it's 1/16" on the treble side and 5/32" on the bass side but not sure if it's the same on an acoustic bass guitar.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Mine is dead on at the G, a fat 1/8" at the B. I replaced the lousy plastic saddle w/ebony, have TI jazz flats on it.

I'm going to pull the fingerboard, replace it w/ebony fretless. Not this week, or the next...probably add graphite to the neckshaft, when I have it open; this neck needs way too much trussrod, to be playable.

Oh, yeah--when I have the fingerboard off, I'll see if it's truly a DT/hide glue joint, as they claim.