Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Kelly Dragonfly SWEET ACOUSTIC BASS LOW PRICE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcousticBass, May 28, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Mmmmmmm...

....spammy.

3. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Lol sorry i didnt relize the thread before this was about michael kelly acoustic basses also, but still, what you all think about the dragonfly? :bassist:

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Don't get the dragonfly, unless you get the "dragonfly rose" model.

Most of the Michael Kelly ABGs are laminated. I played one back-to-back with a "Solid AB" model, which has a solid top and sides. The difference was incredible. The laminated bass (regular dragonfly) was anemic and muffled compared to the Solid model, which "sang" almost as well as a Tacoma Thunderchief (my current GAS). The Solid AB is recognizable by the block inlay markers on the fretboard. The "dragonfly rose" model also has a solid top and body, but has the vine inlay on the fretboard.

All the quilted maple top versions are laminates, AFAIK.

The Solid and Dragonfly Rose models will cost you about $100 more, and the difference is WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I've also heard rumors that the laminated ones don't hold up as well over time, but that's just what I've heard, I have no personal experience on that issue.

My advice is if you're going to get a Michael Kelly ABG, get the Solid AB or Dragonfly Rose model. Don't get a laminated one.

5. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Thanks I will definitely take that under consideration but :meh: can you get the Dragonfly Rose model in the sweet amber shiny color like the one in the link? because, the reason why i want to get it for 50%looks 50%sound dude with that amber color i will get so many chicks, plus the fact that i play finger style i will get even more chicks, plus i have long hair so i will get even more chicks man.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a blue firefly and MK statistics show that both the blue, and the firefly attract more chicks than the dragonfly or amber colors. Nothing has ever gotten me more chicks than that bass, I couldn't believe the action I got the first time I took it to a gig. This bass will get you chicks. I think you must buy it. I don't even have long hair. Well, it's a little long... but I know it was the bass, not the hair.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    PS - I'm very upset with Michael Kelly at the moment, but I'm not going to speak about it just yet. He (or they) has done some things I consider really inconsiderate to their customers from the past few years - something that makes me question their ethics and where their concerns lie bigtime. I wrote to them addressing what I'm not mentioning here, and they ignored me. I was very nice about it also. I think a professional company would at least acknowledge the letter. They just blew me off. Arite.

Given my thoughts and the nature of this thread - it did seem like (and still does) spam from the manufacturers themselves. I hope not cuz it's pretty lame if is. I'm not happy with you mister MK.