michael kelly dragonfly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anomalybass, Feb 1, 2005.

1. I really like the looks and price of the dragonfly fretless 5, but none of the shops here carry them or would be willing to order them. I don't like the idea of spending $500 with out playing one first. Has anyone owned or played one of these? How is it overall?
  2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    They seem a bit over priced. Try looking up "Sanatoga" on ebay. Same bass/different name/lower price.
  4. If you're close enough, go visit Basses Electric & Acoustic in Rancho Cordova. They have 1 or 2. I tried a 5; put it down pretty quick- it's spaced too tight for me. I didn't plug it in, though- it could be nice.
  5. Thanks guys. I'll just have to play one I guess. I've only played a squire acoustic before, so I don't really know how to judge a good one from a bad one. They look awsome though.
  6. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    I would never get one because of all the inlay work on the neck. Which is big no no on fretless. You'll end up getting a very uneven sound because some notes will be string against wood (one tone) and other notes will be string against inlay (another tone). Here is what is on Alembic's web site about fretless and inlays:

"On a fretless bass, we recommend no inlays, since as you slide over different materials, the tone changes."
  7. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Having owned one, I can tell you it seems to make no difference. You're talking a low budget acoustic with cheap roundwound strings.

These play and sound fine for the money you pay. If you want one, grab it. The inlay is fine. Just don't expect anything spectacular and you'll enjoy it.

I sold mine because I was broke, not because I didn't like it.

8. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I own a Firefly 4 fretless, and I must say, I am disappointed. The bass is very pleasing to the eye, however it is not as pleasing to play. It sound is bright and twangy, its got decent mids but the lows are pretty bad. Amplified it sounds better, but still not as good as other acoustics I've played. It is also semi uncomfortable for me to play because it has broad shoulders, and reaching down with my picking hand is somewhat tiresome on my shoulders, also-there is no where to anchor my thumb while picking-which is a concern I didn't even realize before I bought this bass. There are problems with it, but considering the price it's not so bad. I would definately play one first though if I were you.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm pretty sure it comes out of the same factory as my Carlo Robelli ABG and it's a junker, but I love it! I paid $100 for mine and play it every day. Its my bedroom bass for those late nights I have to figure something out, or times when I need to take something to school besides a $1000 Stingray...

You know, it's my all purpose beater bass.