Michael Kelly Guitars/Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jun 13, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Has anyone had any experience with Michael Kelly guitars? I've been looking for a good deal in terms of a jazz guitar, and was wondering if anyone had experience with this brand, regardless of model, guitar or bass. (I went to guitar.com to post and ask this question, but I got scared and clicked away really really fast... it's like TC, but with more dumb people.)

I've seen some of his products on EBay, and they seem to be very reasonable prices. I'm sure SOMEbody somewhere has a Michael Kelly acoustic bass...

Any and all first hand experiences would be welcome.

EDIT: The reason I'm asking is that I did a search, and the only thing I kept reading about was the fact that the lines on the fretless acoustic basses were in the wrong spot... this does not matter to me, since I won't be buying a fretless acoustic bass. :)
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I mean, just LOOK at this guitar:

Makes me feel all tingly. And for under $300? Maybe it's a foto-flame finish? Seems too good to be true.
  3. SuperDuck, I was interested in his basses too a while back, but, when I saw they were all 32" scale I didn't pursue it any further. His stuff looks great, but, the low prices make me think twice.

Mike J.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Someone hwere recently bought a fretless bass from MK. It is made in Korea or the far east, and looked to be very nice for the dollar. Unfortunately the fretless had the side markers in the wrong place! Other than that he reported that it was a very nice instrument. Based on that thread (look it up) I wouldn't hestitate to get a MK guitar or bass.
  5. I have a fretted Micheal Kelly ABG and its great for $200. Its not perfect but its good for what i need it for.
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: Searchin all the MK threads ain't helpin much. Everyone just says "I'm lookin at them, they seem nice..I knwo someone who played one once" Anybody else that has actaully OWNED an MK out there???:confused:
  7. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Someone asked about these on the Carvin forum. So I took a look at the site. The one thing that struck me right off the bat was inlays on a fretless! Well here is what I wrote:

I wonder if the folks at Michael Kelly ever read any articles from the folks at Alembic? Concerning the fretless basses they have with the fancy inlay work. As it may look nice, the folks at Alembic highly recommend that you do NOT get inlay work done on a fretless. They say the tone of the bass would be inconsistent because the string would be pressing against wood in some areas and the inlay material in others. So the tones across the fretboard would not be the same.

Something to consider before buying of those fretless acoustics (although they do look nice!)

The actual quote from the Alembic site is:

"On a fretless bass, we recommend no inlays, since as you slide over different materials, the tone changes."

It is in the Custom Options section.
  8. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i bought a mk acoustic fretless five off of ebay last year. it was gorgeous, and i didn't notice any tonal variations with the inlays on the board. it sounded great acoustically, projected really well and the low b was nice and big. the lines were in the wrong place though.

plugged in, it was almost impossible to get a usable sound, the preamp sounded so hot and the highs were so accentuated that after eq'ing the only passable tone was all low end boom. i sold it to a tb'er in richmond, but can't remember his name! that said, there was an identical bass for sale on bassgear out of richmond last week.

post if you get it, that's nice and i'd be interested in hearing your opinion.
  9. Darwin

Jan 12, 2003
    St. Louis, MO.
    I have a M. Kelly fretted acoustic bass, it's a good bass for the bucks. The company that sells them is very professionaly run business.
  10. My roommate has a MK acousic guitar with quilt sides and back. To me, it sounds way better than his other Takamine or many acoustics I've played at GC. The action on it is quite low and it plays and stays in tune well. Pretty good deal for a 150 bones!
  11. They look nice, !!!,,I had the unlinned frettless ABQ..the dots were in the wrong location and that is a major F-up IMO. I talked it over with them...they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Being very disappointed I sent it back..so If they can't get a unlinned fretless bass built correctly, then I guess that the other stuff will have issues as well...I bet 99% of the people buying MK's are only getting it for the "look":bawl:

12. I think that MK fixed the bad dots by putting dots on the playing surface in what looks like the correct place on the newer models.
  13. Oh, and Superduck, If your looking for a awesome jazz archtop (and you don't minddroping around $3k) go to www.devoearchtop.com . My teacher has one and it is an absolutly gorgeous looking, awesome sounding archtop i have ever seen.
  14. Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I use a MK Quilt 5 (fretted) as my primary instrument in an accoustic duo. It's one of the latest models. The EQ is a little tricky. Kill the low end, bring up the mids a little from the lows and the highs a little from that. I use a Sansamp DI which brings the bass to life.
    One major problem is that the body is majorly resonant at "A"(both open and fretted) which causes some major feedback if not carefull with speaker placement.
    The Bass quality is perfect and I would have payed more for it if I had to.