Michael Kelly Guitars Launches New Pinnacle 4 and 5 Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, May 16, 2021.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Michael Kelly Guitars has released new Pinnacle 4-string and 5-string bass guitars, expanding its electric bass lineup. Pinnacle 4 ($699.99 street price) and Pinnacle 5 ($739.99 street price) basses come in a natural burl finish and are available now via Michael Kelly’s dealer network.

innacle 4-string and 5-string bass guitars combine excellent sound, remarkable feel and stylish looks that demanding bass players will appreciate. The swamp ash body is finished with an eye-catching burled poplar top in a shape that evenly distributes the weight of the instrument to make even the most extended sessions comfortable. The highly playable, five-piece maple and walnut neck topped with an ebony fretboard features glow-in-the-dark side markers allowing for easy navigation on a dark stage. The Michael Kelly MCN bridge with its adjustable saddles provide side-to-side micro adjustments to optimize string spacing and alignment. Truss rod adjustments are easy with no special tools using the spoke wheel at the base of the fretboard.

Pinnacle basses allow every player to quickly define their own signature sound. Two custom-wound Rockfield MDC humbucker pickups deliver a mid-range punch, with an increased output for a driven voice that’s rich with sustain. Each dual-coil pickup is equipped with a coil-split switch for delivering an airy, single-coil tone. The Michael Kelly custom preamp features a 3-band EQ with Bass, Mid and Treble controls. A push-pull Master Volume knob enables the active electronics or bypasses the preamp for a vintage passive tone.

michaelkellyguitars.com

Features

• Swamp ash body with burled poplar top

• 5-Piece maple & walnut neck with ebony fretboard and glow-in-the-dark side markers

• Two Rockfield® MDC humbucker pickups with individual coil-split switches

• Master Volume knob with push-pull Active/Passive switch

• Active Preamp with 3-band EQ (Bass, Mid, Treble)

MKP5CPBERU-Front_HO_Vertical.jpg MKP4CPBERU-Front_HO_Vertical.jpg

2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I hope they eventually offer them in lefty's.

3. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    These look amazing except I feel like the Y tuners look off a bit with that headstock design. I think I would prefer either lollipop tuners or maybe something like the tuners on the Ibanez Gary Willis bass. I think I just don’t like Y tuners that much. Oh well, just my opinion.

4. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    At first glance, they certainly have a “coffee table bass” vibe.

I’ve occasionally wondered: what is the value of pickups right next to each other? Wouldn’t you get a greater variety of tone by moving the neck pickup closer to the neck..... and wouldn’t that generally be more desirable?

5. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    That's a lot of features for the price. I like the wood combination and 5-bolt neck attachment. What is the 5-string bridge spacing?

6. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think it's about the blended tone rather than the tone of the individual pickups. When you move the front pickup back a little like they've done here, the resulting tone usually has a little more midrange in it and carries the bass tone well in certain situations. Perhaps not in all.

I have a theory that most guys who have two pickup basses run them at 50/50 blend 95% of the time, and that when luthiers build two pickup basses that's where they focus their efforts. Probably unknowable.

7. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    I tend to set one pup to one sound, and the other to a different sound - and then switch between the sounds. Depending on the instrument of course.

8. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    The 24th fret spacing is 78mm, FWIW.

9. Do these remind anyone else of the one of the models made by Traben?

I think Michael Kelly and Traben are part of the same umbrella company, if I remember right...

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021