Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Kelly=Sanatoga?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, May 18, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Browsing ebay today and noticed some acoustic basses from a company called Sanatoga. These basses look like Michael Kelly basses from the headstock, body, finish and inlays. The only difference I see is in the electronics. Sorry, for some reason I can't get the link to the auction to work.

2. Its probably the same factory under license from a different company...similar to the factory that produces the Peavey grind NTB and an extremely similar looking washburn.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hmm, does like like a Michael Kelly doesn't it...

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah I saw those Sanatogas and thought the same thing. Michael Kelly is part of a larger "discount" online music store called Mailbox Music, but Santoga isn't. Probably same factory I'm guessing.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There is a price difference. Before the MK's started using the Fishman system they used one very similar. I always thought the MK's were overpriced.

6. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Sanatoga is a private company based in Pennslyvania. Jay Turser builds(in China) and set's up (in New York) all of these instruments prior to shipment.
    Jay Turser bought the acoustic basses from Michael Kelly, and had Sanatogas logo put on the head stock. (these are also set up in N.Y.)

7. My name is Michael Kelley. Seriously.

Close enough, right?

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! When did that happen?

9. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

Jay Turser didn't buy the entire stock or the company.....they just bought what they needed for Sanatoga's orders. I have to say.....these basses are made from some really nice wood.....the quilt on some of them is really amazing!