Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Kelly vs. Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BluePinkGreen, Aug 3, 2002.

Which one?

Poll closed Oct 2, 2002.
  1. Ibanez AEB30LG

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Michael Kelly Quilt AB Custom 2

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    I'm looking at two basses right now, but i can't decide between a used Ibanez AEB30 or a new Michael Kelly acoustic bass. I've got it down to those two. gimme your thoughts.

p.s. this bass is basically for playing around in the park with some of my guitar buddies and stuff. something that has enough volume to play with an acoustic guitar.

2. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    got a hardly played michael kelly acoustic fretless five. want it?

3. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    no thanks, firstly i play a 4 (till i die) and secondly i play fretted. thanks anyways. but how is the volume when it's purely acoustic (not plugged in)?

anybody else have any ideas?

4. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    loud and bright. i don't like the electronics, too bright for me.

5. There is a 99% chance that these two basses and about a hundred other labels were made at the same factory in Korea..I had a Michael Kelly quilted maple UNLINNED fretless for about a day and a half... I wasn't to pleased that the UNLINNED fretless bass I bought had the side position dots located as if it were a FRETTED bass. I was pissed off big time. It sounded like doo doo too. I sent it back and MK refunded my money+shipping. Then I found a killer sounding Ibanez ATK 305 for almost half the price.. Thank GOD! because ABG's never sound all that great to begin with.. . I guess MK's are all about the look, and not about sound or function. I see now that some guitarist are buying MK basses to impress their boy friends :eek: Seriously My advice to you is play it before you buy it..... Remember this is only IMO.

6. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    35' scale. yeah, the dots are in the wrong place, bugs me.

7. I only had the MK for a Day and a half... And yes it is the UNLINED fretless that has the DOTS in the WRONG location.. I could have sworn that it was a 32" scale neck.

Pigpen02 Why didn't you send it back to MK? They are really nice about returns. Or you should have let them know that they are selling a faulty product. I did, and they didn't seem to care:eek:

8. I don't know if I trust those MK basses. They look nice and they might be cool just to fool around on, but the quality seems questionable.
    Pigpen: how's the intonation and action/setup on yours?
    If it's decent enough, it might be nice to own a MK AGB just for the hell of it.

9. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i dig the action, the acoustic tone is sweet as hell, just hate the electronics so it only got plugged in half a dozen times. the intonation doesn't suck b,e, and a, but the d and g are questionable. if i were more of a hands on kind of guy, i'd be tempted to fix it; in a similar vein, if i didn't live in musical purgatory, i'd get if fixed by a professional.

i kept it out of stubbornness, i suppose: it would play well because i make it! that, and damn, i do love playing the bottom three strings acoustically.

it really is a beaut, but i'll be honest: it needs to have something done w/ the neck and electronics to be a regular player. i'm not up to it, maybe somebody else is.

10. 2 words : closed mind ;)

why deliberately limit your capabilities ?

11. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    well, i'm limiting it for now because, i'm not very good yet. i haven't even been playing a year, so when i get really good at fretted4 maybe i'll look into others, but not right now.

thanks guys, i'm thinkin i'm gunna go with the ibanez.

12. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    How much is the Ibanez and how does it sound in comparison?

13. Yes this a design flaw regardless of what they say at MK. However for about 60 or 70 bones you can have the dots fixed and lined up correctly. Even then the bass is a steal.
    Of course uprights do not have dots at all as well as many fretless basses.
    Peace