1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael League/Snarky Puppy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had only seen one clip of them before the newest issue of Bass Player. All I can say is Michael League is a great voice on the instrument and a great bassist composer in the tradition of Charles Mingus. When I read in BP the quote from League that he did not have great chops, I laughed because he wouldn't have gotten through North Texas or been introduced to Kirk Franklin's circle of players if he weren't a serious player. I'm not of a huge fan of the octave pedal for so many solos, but I respect his concept. I am officially a Michael League and Snarky Puppy fan.

DWBass and BenHack like this.
  2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    +1 Impressive stuff, for sure!

3. His version of Continuum. It's really something special.

TrevorOfDoom, DWBass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's nice to hear someone play a Jaco tune without being a Jaco clone. It was also good to hear League solo at least a little bit without an octave pedal.

As someone from the slappity pop generation, it is good to hear young bassists breaking new ground.

I also enjoy the emphasis on four strings. I know watching Esperanza on a four has made me put more emphasis on the whole range of the bass, and not being a slave to the B string.

TrevorOfDoom and DWBass like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I see Michael League can ride the B string with best of them when it serves the music!

Lalah Hathaway has had one fantastic semi-underground career!

6. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    I saw Snarky Puppy perform at Berklee a few months ago and they are outstanding. The compositions and arrangements are incredible, especially considering the size of the band. They are truly an ensemble.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Love his playing and the whole band!

JimK likes this.
  8. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Great player but watching that first clip I have to wonder - is he related to Joe Cocker? :chicken:

9. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I love that he chose to resist the pressure to become a chop machine. His bass playing is lyrical and his lines are infinitely musical. In the end that's all that matters in the context of chops. He's also a great composer.

Asher S and bass12 like this.