1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD MICHAEL LIPE California Custom Super-Jazz Lined Fretless 5 - Caramel Burst - SOLD!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jtlee, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    SOLD!

Here's a really cool super-Jazz 5-string from luthier Michael Lipe. He might not be a household name, but here on the West Coast, he's got a great rep (his shop eventually became the Ibanez USA Los Angeles Custom Shop). His website is here: http://www.lipeguitars.com/home.shtml. This bass was built in 2005 and has Michael Lipe's signature on the back and neck pocket/heel. California Custom Guitars was the name of his company for a while until he changed it to Lipe Guitars. This bass is basically the same as his current "Luparo J" model (which sells for $2695).

Specs:
    Body: Alder Back, Figured Maple Top, Caramel Burst finish
    Neck: Birdseye Maple w/Lined Rosewood fingerboard
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan SJB-5 Jazz pickups
    Controls: Volume/Blend/Tone
    Bridge: Hipshot B-style
    Tuners: Hipshot Ultralite
    Strings: D'addario XL
    Scale: 34"
    Spacing: .750/19mm

The bass is in mint condition; just some barely visible scratches and some minor "cloudy spots" on the finish on the sides of the fingerboard (no sure if these were drop filled or if the finish is just cloudy). You can't feel these, just thought I'd mention it. Otherwise, the bass is perfect. Neck is very straight with just a hint of relief; plays beautifully. There is only one issue with this bass; the truss rod nut is at it's loosest point, so you can't back it off to add more relief. So if you like a big bend in your neck for very high action, it's not going to happen. But if you like medium to low action (like me), then it's perfect. You could always add more relief by throwing on higher tension or heavier strings. A gig bag will be included with the bass.

Due to the truss rod issue, I'm only asking $500 shipped in the continental US. International shipping is fine, just PM me for a ship quote. PayPal is preferred. No trades right now (unless it's REALLY good!). :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    When you truss rod,. Does it mean it just won't move?

3. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Or Rather is the truss stuck?

4. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I don't know if it's just the truss rod nut or if it's the truss rod's threads, but basically you can't adjust it. You can basically take the truss rod nut completely off and the neck is still straight. The truss rod is not broken however (it's not rattling in the neck).

Basically, the neck is very straight with minimal relief with the truss rod fully loosened & strings tuned to pitch (which means with the strings off it has forward bow). Usually to get the neck this straight, the truss rod nut would be fairly tight and then you could back it off to get some more relief. This is not the case with this bass. You basically have to play the neck as it is unless you want to put on heavier strings (then you could tighten it a bit to get it straighter). Am I making sense?

It's a fantastic bass that plays great right now, as-is. If I didn't mention the truss rod nut issue, then you wouldn't even be able to tell. It's just that some Talkbass guys are very nitpicky about details, so I try to be very thorough and honest with my descriptions.

5. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    So, can you add tension,(tighten), to the rod if it is at its' loosest point right now? I ask, because I live in a very different climate than S. CA and always have to adjust instruments that are shipped here from there. Thanks

6. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon

I've honestly never tried. Since the neck was so straight to begin with, I didn't want to try adding more forward bow. I'll check the truss rod nut again and let you know.

7. Those bolts holding the neck on are TINY...

8. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    They're really not that small. It just looks like it because it's black on black and because the body is so big (larger than a standard Jazz bass). The recessed neck plate helps too; the neck joint is very tight and stable.

9. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    PM sent. I'll take it.

10. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    That bass is a looker. Nice spacing for fretless too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.