Michael Manring and Paolo Giordano ( PM ) at Bruno's ...

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Dave Grossman, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Well, I finally got to hear Michael play live. I think I caught some noodling at NAMM a few times and have a few of his recordings. I've been a fan since the 80's although I haven't followed his career as closely as I should have. It definitely wasn't the result of any conscious decision. It's just the way it turned out.

Anyway, as I expected, he played incredibly. I have seen numerous bands at Bruno's ( in San Francisco ) and was expecting a good crowd of local musicians hanging out in the Cork Room ( where they usually have the bands ). Unfortunately, Bruno's has had a lot of complaints about volume and have cancelled numerous bands over the past few months. This was probably the reason why Michael and Paolo ended up in the main dining room. Bruno's always had a lot of talkers in the audience. It seemed much worse in the dining room though. Waitresses would literally walk in between the bands and the audience with plates of filet mignon.

To tell the truth, I wasn't all that bothered by the talking much. I was too entranced by Michael and Paolo's playing. I'm not really good at reviews so I'll just say that Michael and Paolo both sounded great. They had enough chops to feed the entire bar ( pun intended ... get it? ). Paolo played with a tapping-fingerstyle technique that seems like a cross between Michael Hedges and Trey Gunn ( Warr Guitarist with King Crimson ). I think the only other person that Michael could be compared to would be Victor Wooten. They share some of the same techniques. Jaco might be an obvious comparison but I think that Michael has taken what Jaco did to a higher level.

The sound was good but would have been better in the band room. Although it was booked as PM ( Paulo and Michael ), they both did a lot of solo stuff. I really loved every minute of it. Lot's of Hendrix thrown in by Michael and I could swear I heard Paolo play a few chords of Smoke on the Water.

Last but not least, I got to meet Michael and Paolo. Paolo seemed nice but I didn't get to talk to him much. Michael seemed happy to chat with me for a few minutes here and there. He was extremely friendly and very receptive to my request to take some photos. It's very comforting to know that someone of Michael's talent can be so down-to-earth and friendly. Maybe there's hope for ... dare I say it ... Jeff Berlin ( don't hit me! ). :D

Here are some pics from the show. There are more at my photo gallery which you can get to via my home page link above my post.

- Dave

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i THINK that's the guitarist i saw with michael at the 2002 namm zon booth.

michael is an absolute master AND a sincere gentleman.

i incorrectly mentioned the name of one of his windham hill LPs that i had recently bought. he didn't even correct me.

felt like a real dunce when i got home.

oh well.

he signed my attention deficit cd too!!!

a champ!

if you get a chance to see him BLOW over some jazz standards, do it!!! its on one of his videos.

his rendition of BRIGHT SIZE LIFE brings a tear!!

and SOLAR....EEEEGAD!!! and GIANT STEPS!!!!! when Michael takes a solo over GIANT STEPS, i think you can catch the pianist's expression of absolute STUN!!!!

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...then you really HAVE to get Michael's recent release with David Cullen - Equilibre - it's a stunning album, full of really cool interplay between the two musicians. Both contribute compositions, and sound like they're having a ball. They also both dig in - it's not a sanitised 'pro-tools'-ed recording at all - it's the sound of two great musicians interacting.

On Solid Air records, I think - there's some info on Michael's site at www.manthing.com

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    And I can't go.....<sigh>

Well, maybe I can swing it if I'm crafty...

(or desperate)

I'll let you know how it goes.