Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manring and Steve Lawson live in California!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Quick press release about some gigs that I've just had confirmed for the beginning of July, in a trio with Michael Manring and master percussionist Rick Walker - here's the details - we're currently negotiating on another one, possibly two shows in the Bay Area - so feel free to
    e-mail me if you want more details, or see my website, or sign up for my mailing list... Hope to see some of you at the
    shows.

Manring/Walker/Lawson trio live in Santa Cruz and Big Sur, California!

a new trio featuring bassists Michael Manring and Steve Lawson with master percussionist Rick Walker will be playing a series
    of shows in Northern California at the beginning of July.

The first two to be announced are -

7th July 2001 8pm

Second Annual Big Sur Looping Festival, featuring Manring/Walker/Lawson trio, solo sets by each member of the trio, with Max
    Valentino supporting.

At the Henry Miller Library, Big Sur, California . Please email Rick Walker on GLOBAL@cruzio.com for more information on
    ticket price and directions etc.

and -

9th July 2001 8pm Rick Walker and the Rio Theater Present -

The 2nd Santa Cruz Bass Looping Festival - featuring Manring/Walker/Lawson trio, and solo sets by each member of the trio,
    with Max Valentino in support.

Rio Theatre 1205 Soquel Ave Santa Cruz, CA 95062 tel - (831)423-2000
    about 5 minutes east of downtown Santa Cruz at the corner of Seabright and Soquel (which is the main east-west thorough fare
    in town). Free Entry!

more dates will be announced very soon.

I'll also be playing a series of dates in the LA area at the end of June - more details ASAP...

Oh and I'll be doing a days teaching in Santa Cruz - please e-mail Rick Walker on GLOBAL@cruzio.com if you're interested and
    want more details.

cheers

Steve
    web-site - www.steve-lawson.co.uk

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hear Boston is great city to play, hint, hint. Yep Boston loves it's dual bass/percussionist trios. If I were in a trio like that, I would hope to play Boston many times. heh. Oh well. Can't blame me for trying can you?

3. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Well, if this mini tour goes well, there's nothing to say that we couldn't be playing Boston in a few months/years time... LOL

Do you have many 30,000 seat arenas there? this isn't no small potatoes gig, you know... LOL <biggrin>

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Send me 30,000 tickets, I'll try to sell them now! Cool, I hope it does go well.

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Right, there are 30,000 tickets in the post to you, but I left the venue and date bit blank - if you could write that in when we sort that bit out, it would be great... :oops:)

LOL

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ONe more date added -

Thursday July 5th, 9pm, at TUVA gallery in Berkeley, CA - same trio, with support I think - check my gig diary page for more info as and when I get it, or e-mail me...

hope to see some of you there...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Getting closer and closer to Boston, albeit in very tiny increments....
    Any plans for video?

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    not sure about a video, but we are working on getting all the gigs recorded...

We've also added another one! This time in Sacremento on July 6th, at Borders Books and Music - see my website for the full details. Hope to see some Talk bass people there...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

(ps if someone knows how to work the gig calender, feel free to post these dates - I can't find where you add a listing!!!!!!!)

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Oh boy, this tour just gets longer and longer!
    The latest addition to the tour is on
    Sunday, July 8th at the San Jose Museum of Art in downtown San Jose at 7 p.m.. More info is available by e-mailing GLOBAL@cruzio.com

This is a free show - hope to see some of you there

(if anyone reading this knows how to post gig dates onto the gig calender here at talkbass, please do! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Wow! I'm excited you're coming to Sacramento! I had checked this thread a few weeks ago and had been planning to go down to Santa Cruz or Berkeley but Sac is much closer to where I live. I've been listening to a lot of Robert Fripp and David Torn lately so the possibilities of looping have set the wheels in my head a-turning. A few days ago I checked out the Boss Loop Station and I think I'll probably pick one of those up by the end of the summer. Any other Sactown TalkBassers gonna go check out the show?

11. Well, I just began playing bass, and I think it would be great to see a great bass player play live...;)

I think I'm gonna try and go down to see the San Jose one... its KINDA close.... maybe you could arrange a show in the um...Southern California area?

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Son of Spam - I've been playing solo all over Southern California for the last week!!!!!!! And today was Bass Day at MI in Hollywood - I was playing, Michael was playing, so were stu hamm and alphonso johnson and a whole host of other great players.

If you're in the LA area, you HAVE to go and see Abe Laboriel next time he plays at the Baked Potato - I saw him tonight and last Wednesday and am so inspired, invigorated, blessed and just vibed up by his awesome playing and the joy that comes from that guy 24/7...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

13. Well damn, that sucks :(

Hehehe... I WILL try and make it...maybe you could tell me when you hear of him playing round here? Cause I sure don't know where to start...

It's like I bought my bass, an amp, and all of a sudden a world of opportunities pop up and I'm just overwhelmed, but its fun. I can't seem to find enough time in the day to play bass, even if its the most boring stuff on earth. ;)

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    the baked potato website is just www.thebakedpotato.com - it's down at the moment while they change server. There are sooooo many great bassists that play there, it's worth going every night of the week (except Tuesday, that's blues jam night... :oops:) - the list of amazing bassists I've seen there includes Abe Laboriel, Ric Fierabracci, Jerry Watts, Doug Lunn, Jimmy Johnson, and others... if any of those guys are playing, it's going to be a great night out, believe me... and if you do go and see any of them, tell 'em I sent you! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

15. Thanks, and I will try and go. Maybe bring my girlfriend down too, have a little night out. ;)