Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manring at iMusicast

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Dave Grossman, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    David,

those are amazing! You've got an incredible skill with that camera of yours, and a fantastic control of low level stage lighting - such a difficult environment in which to take photos and yet you consistently come up with outstanding pictures.

Not only that but you've successfully captured the fun and energy in a manthing solo gig - something that is vital to the whole experience!

Much Respect to your photographic skills!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have a new desktop wallpaper :cool:

Great pics Dave!

3. Thanks guys!!! I've been doing low-light live music photography for a little over 2 years now. The trick is longer exposures with higher ASA (400 on my new digital, not very high but better than 100! ;))and keeping the camera really really still when taking the picture. :D It's a real challenge. And, I take tons of shots. It gives me a better chance of getting some good ones.

I hate using a flash. There was a show of Michael's that I shot using a flash though ( with his permission, of course ). The pictures came out really good but I still prefer not to use one. I don't like to interfere with the performers or audience in any way if possible.

http://www.chromatic-fantasy.com/2002-07-11-pm-manring/

[​IMG]

Sincerely,

Dave

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Great pictures, Dave! Thank you so much.

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    GAH. I was gonna go to that show (and the one the night before at iMusicast). But then my stupid car's radiator broke on the way down. I love shows at iMusicast, especially when it's packed (i.e. the Solemite and Matches CD releases).