Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manring At NAMM video.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    This is just outstanding.. and his technique with the tuning and bridge tuning, or whatever he is doing is amazing, and the piece is so melodic aswell.

:)

2. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Thanks a lot for sharing this, it's beautiful. The technique is wonderful of course, but it's great that he's using it to make a beautiful, melodic piece of music.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow....

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That was "The Enormous Room," probably my favorite Manring piece. It apparently has over a hundred tunings used throughout the song.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I saw MM once live in montreal, AMAZING player. Very nice guy also, I got the chance to chat with him after the concert. He's a great guy.

As much as I love his playing live, I just don't like the albums.

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Verey cool, thanks for sharing it.

7. Anyone ever seen the video where Manring plays like 5 basses at once? He has a bunch of guys standing around him, each holding a bass, then he's holding a bass. He just goes around the group tapping a little something on each bass. It's crazy.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

He managed to play beautiful, sensible music at the wankfest that the NAMM is.
    Once again, a proof of his excellent taste.

9. Is this video online some where?

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    very cool.

11. he sure is good!

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He plays four basses on a song. It's on his "The Artist's Profile" DVD, which I've never seen clips of online. It's well worth it to buy the DVD anyways.

13. That ummm...well...

I quit!

:crying:

:bassist:

14. I know there is a clip online...it might have been posted here...maybe not, but i remember seeing it...

15. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    He also plays that tune ("My three moons") in the Bass Day 98 video. Casually (or not) both tunes are from his album "Thonk" (that happens to be one of my fav bass albums ever)

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I would love to see that, ill be on the search for it..

17. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    he does the thing with 4 basses - 2 on and 2 people holding them on the bass day 98 dvd.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A hundred sounds a bit steep. I seem to recall it was "only" 14. A hundred changes, perhaps.