Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manring @ Bass Quake

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Josh Curry, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Michael, do you know if Camera's (regular & Video) will be allowed at Bass Quake? I would love to get some footage of you playing!

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Sorry BassWhore, I don’t know what the policy is for video cameras at BassQuake. Your best bet is probably to ask the organizers. See you there!

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Michael, I spoke with Daniel Elliot and he gave me the details. It looks like it's regular camera's only, no flash's. But that's pretty much what I had expected anyway. 4 days left!

4. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
  5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Michael, It was a pleasure meeting you and finally seeing you play. Thanks for letting me take some pictures and signing my CD's too. I know I asked you yesterday, but what is the name of the 4th piece you played that's going to be on the new album? That work conveyed such emotion, I did not think it was possible to do that on a single instrument, which is amazing because it looks to be such a technical piece watching constantly flipping tuners. Simply amazing.

6. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    BassQuake was brilliant all around but that last solo song by Michael Manring stole the show! That song was such an intense climaxing heart felt experience that it stopped me from trying to understand just how he could be creating all those parts & tones with just one instrument a looper & effects, to becoming utterly lost in the pure emotion of the song. To me, that is what music is all about.
    I picked up his new solo CD that night and finally listened to it today. Most inspiring uncompromising music I have heard in quite some time and I hear lots. That drummer throws down some wicked beats too.

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    he was selling a CD there that night? How did I miss that?!

8. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    the only manring CDs I saw for sale were "Book of Flame" (his 1999 solo album) and "Scattered" -live performances with Kassen and Darter (flute and piano) at Noe Valley Ministry.

I already have them both - so if Michael's new cd was on sale - I guess I missed it too. I checked manthing.com and there's nothing on there about the new release yet.

9. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, guys. It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to hang with lots of bass dudes!

The piece you mentioned is called “Selene.” It originally appeared on a 1991 compilation CD named A Windham Hill Guitar Sampler II (now out of print, I think), but “Selene” has grown and changed over the years so I decided to put a live version of it on my upcoming CD. Sorry I didn’t have the new CD at Bassquake. It really is almost ready but life has been a been hectic lately, so it’ll be just a little while longer until it’s out.