Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manring clinic!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Acacia, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nov 6th, Va Beach, VA. I'm there and I am rather stoked. I have been to dozens of drum clinics over the years and this will be my 1st bass clinic. I have Thonk and it's pretty good, even though I am not into the whole bass solo thing. The dude is awesome.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    See Mike Dimin-
    ...Bass Day 2000 goes on the road to SE Virginny.

Sean, where is the clinic & how much?
    (Not that I'm gonna go).

BTW-
    Manring is one helluva groover, too(in addition to his "solo" playing).

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jim, nov 6th at Alpha Music. I think you should go.

Where's bass day 2000?

4. Acacia, you're gonna love it. I saw Michael do a clinic at Berklee about 8 years ago and he was simply incredible. (and he was only playing TWO basses at a time then!) Nice guy, too. he took the time afterwards to talk with everyone and sign autographs.

And if you really want a great story, ask him what it was like studying with Jaco.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sean-
    I was joking Mike about Bass Day 2001 coming to Va. Beach; Bass Day 2000 was just held in NYC(see the BASS DAY 2000 thread in the MISC or OFF TOPIC Forums).
    You & I know nuthin' "good" ever comes through here. :D

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Anyone who gets the chance to see Michael in Clinic or gig should do so - his clinics are just the right blend of inspirational, educational and entertaining - his solo tunes are fantastic compositions, and to see up close how they are played will hopefully inspire you to go home and try a few things of your own. His ability to break down what he's doing verbally and explain it, as well as the principles behind it is great and the two/three bass thing is a great circus trick to perform a great tune! :oops:)

check it out!

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >BTW-
    Manring is one helluva groover, too(in addition to his "solo" playing).

JimK what do you recommend as an example of Michael grooving?

I saw Michael this past June and have had the pleasure of corresponding with him on several issues and I can confirm that not only is he one helluva bassist/musician but he is truly one of the nicest guys you'd ever wanna meet. Completely accessible.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pedro-
    You hadda ask; a drummer/friend of mine's son has the discs in question; I didn't see the covers & didn't really know it was Manring until he told me. As you know, MM is a big Jaco fan & it shows.
    My friend's son also let me borrow MM's video; a lotta of usable stuff was on that tape, not the "solo"/esoteric bass that MM is generally known for.
    Do you recall an issue of BASS PLAYER that had grooves from both Patitucci & Manring?

9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Just in case you're interested, here's a list of Michael's upcoming clinics - do yourself a favour and get to one of these if it's within a days drive! :oops:)

check his website for more gig dates - http://www.manthing.com

cheers

Steve

SWR Clinic
    M 11/6 7PM
    Alpha Music
    3234 Virginia Beach Blvd.
    Virginia Beach, VA
    (757) 486-2001

SWR Clinic
    Tu 11/7 7PM
    Accent Music
    5615 Concord Pike
    Wilmington, DE
    (302) 477-1112

SWR Clinic
    Sa 11/11 12PM
    Drome Sound
    3486 State St.
    Schenectady, NY
    (518) 370-3701

SWR Clinic
    W 11/29 (Time TBA)
    Keith Jorgenson Music
    Orem, UT

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i saw his THONK vid this weekend...OUCH!