Michael Manring clinic!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Acacia, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nov 6th, Va Beach, VA. I'm there and I am rather stoked. I have been to dozens of drum clinics over the years and this will be my 1st bass clinic. I have Thonk and it's pretty good, even though I am not into the whole bass solo thing. The dude is awesome.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    See Mike Dimin-
    ...Bass Day 2000 goes on the road to SE Virginny.

Sean, where is the clinic & how much?
    (Not that I'm gonna go).

BTW-
    Manring is one helluva groover, too(in addition to his "solo" playing).

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jim, nov 6th at Alpha Music. I think you should go.

Where's bass day 2000?

4. Acacia, you're gonna love it. I saw Michael do a clinic at Berklee about 8 years ago and he was simply incredible. (and he was only playing TWO basses at a time then!) Nice guy, too. he took the time afterwards to talk with everyone and sign autographs.

And if you really want a great story, ask him what it was like studying with Jaco.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sean-
    I was joking Mike about Bass Day 2001 coming to Va. Beach; Bass Day 2000 was just held in NYC(see the BASS DAY 2000 thread in the MISC or OFF TOPIC Forums).
    You & I know nuthin' "good" ever comes through here. :D

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Anyone who gets the chance to see Michael in Clinic or gig should do so - his clinics are just the right blend of inspirational, educational and entertaining - his solo tunes are fantastic compositions, and to see up close how they are played will hopefully inspire you to go home and try a few things of your own. His ability to break down what he's doing verbally and explain it, as well as the principles behind it is great and the two/three bass thing is a great circus trick to perform a great tune! :oops:)

check it out!

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >BTW-
    Manring is one helluva groover, too(in addition to his "solo" playing).

JimK what do you recommend as an example of Michael grooving?

I saw Michael this past June and have had the pleasure of corresponding with him on several issues and I can confirm that not only is he one helluva bassist/musician but he is truly one of the nicest guys you'd ever wanna meet. Completely accessible.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pedro-
    You hadda ask; a drummer/friend of mine's son has the discs in question; I didn't see the covers & didn't really know it was Manring until he told me. As you know, MM is a big Jaco fan & it shows.
    My friend's son also let me borrow MM's video; a lotta of usable stuff was on that tape, not the "solo"/esoteric bass that MM is generally known for.
    Do you recall an issue of BASS PLAYER that had grooves from both Patitucci & Manring?

9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Just in case you're interested, here's a list of Michael's upcoming clinics - do yourself a favour and get to one of these if it's within a days drive! :oops:)

check his website for more gig dates - http://www.manthing.com

cheers

Steve

SWR Clinic
    M 11/6 7PM
    Alpha Music
    3234 Virginia Beach Blvd.
    Virginia Beach, VA
    (757) 486-2001

SWR Clinic
    Tu 11/7 7PM
    Accent Music
    5615 Concord Pike
    Wilmington, DE
    (302) 477-1112

SWR Clinic
    Sa 11/11 12PM
    Drome Sound
    3486 State St.
    Schenectady, NY
    (518) 370-3701

SWR Clinic
    W 11/29 (Time TBA)
    Keith Jorgenson Music
    Orem, UT

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i saw his THONK vid this weekend...OUCH!