Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manring "standard" tracks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Steve Holroyd, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Can someone give me some examples of Manring tracks (on his solo albums) where he performed in standard E-A-D-G tuning?

Thanks.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I know that Purple Haze was done with standard tuning. His website http://www.manthing.com has a section with all of his tunings, but the site has been doen since the end of November. Hopefully, it'll be up soon.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you're looking for recordings in which Manring plays conventional bass lines, you're in luck. He was the studio bassist at Windham Hill records early in his career, and played on a lot of albums. The easiest ones to find that also include some of his compositions are recordings from the group Montreux. Here are a few titles to look for:

Let them say (a favorite of mine)
    Sign Language
    Retrospective (The best of Montreux)

The recording "Live at Montreux" hass Todd Phillips on bass, Montreux's erstwhile bassist.

Manring also played with other Montreux members before they became a group. One title comes to mind:

Chiaroscuro - Mike Marshall & Darol Anger.

Also, Manring must have played on a number of Michael Hedges recordings, although I have no clue which ones.

If you're into Manring's post "Thonk" material, his Windham Hill material will sound kind of tame. It's great music, though.

Will C.:cool:

4. I wasn't looking for conventional work, necessarily. I'm familiar with his work with Hedges and others. Basically, I wanted examples of his solo style (just him and the bass) where he played in a standard tuning.

To give you a better idea, I'm looking for slapping/tapping stuff that I can listen to and play along with (to the extent I can figure it out) without having to retune my bass.

Thanks again.

5. Steve,
    Like bassmonkeee said, Manring's rendition of "Purple Haze" on his album "Drastic Measures" was done in standard tuning, and that one is a slap and tap fest. There was a BP article in 1991 in which Manring dissected "Drastic Measures" track-by-track (including tunings). I'll dig it up tonight and let you know what else on that album is standard tuning. As for his more recent solo albums, I think there is a "Thonk" music book with notation.. not sure about "The Book of Flame."

6. Thanks. I remember that BP article, but, alas, stopped saving thos things years ago. In fact, it was my memories of the article that prompted the question.

Look forward to seeing the results of your search.

7. Steve,
    Found my May '91 BP last night, with the Manring article. Besides "Purple Haze", the only other piece on "Drastic Measures" that's in standard tuning is "500 Miles High", a beautiful rendering of the Chick Corea tune. I guess in the interests of being complete, one of the three bass tracks on "Deja Voodoo" is in standard tuning, too!
    BTW, I dig that Mike Watt quote on your signature. He is God.

8. "Monkey Businessman" has re-tunings mid-song with the Hipshots.. just something to keep in mind if you're going to attempt playing it. (Not that I have, or even could.. I have a video where he performs it, that's the only way I know!)

9. Neptoon, how can you play Monkey Businessman without detuning? The song isnt even played in EADG.
    Snakes Got Legs from Thonk is standard tuning (well the main part anyways).
    Manthing from Unusual Weather is in standard tuning.
    There are more too.

[Edited by Zonplayer on 02-06-2001 at 09:52 AM]