Michael Manring....WOW!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jhamby2000, Aug 28, 2002.

1. jhamby2000

Jun 14, 2002
    i just heard him for the first time tonight and all i can say is wow! i just started taking bass lessons tonight and my teacher played some of his stuff for me. i want to play one tenth that well someday. for now i'll just be jealous and enjoy.
  2. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I acutally introduced my techer to marning`s music:) It was like, we were talking about something, the music was playing quietly in the background - when "rsvp" started he suddenly stoped talking and turned his head really slooow in the direction of one of the speakers :D :D :D
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I've never seen a real Manring show but had the good fortune of attending two back to back Manring/SWR clinics this year.

He can do stuff that others would never imagine. To hear his music is something but it's mesmerising to watch him perform it...beautifully played notes and a flurry of hand movement flipping all of the levers on the Hyperbass...

If you can go see him, do it. He's one of the nicest guys that you'll ever meet too!
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    He rocks. Pure and simple. An incredible bassist who both does bass stunts AND can play really sweet compositions with a lot of emotion. Wish I could come and see him play someday, but the ocean's in the way, so to speak.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Manring is one of those rare examples of virtuosity at the service of musicality and he's a great guy to boot.

I highly recommend his first two solo recordings "Unusual Weather" and "Toward the Center of the Night", as well as his recordings with the group Montreux. It's powerful stuff.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    shoot, i wanna play 1/10th that well, and i've been playing for 18 years. :D yeah, he's awesome.