1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Manring

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I've heard a lot about him, seen a few live youtube videos etc. I find him really intruiging though, with the different tunings and obviously the 3octave hyperbass fretless. I ordered one of his CD's the other week and I just wasn't that impressed; I think it was called Unusual Weather, I'm not sure though.

I'm willing to give him another chance though! Can someone recommened me some essential Manring (or anything similar for that matter!)

Thanks again chaps

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Manring is probably my favourite player and one of the most revolutionary I`ve ever heard.

From his solo work, his 2 first albums ("Unusual weather" and "Towards the center of the night") are more new age oriented and the bass isn`t so prominent.

His 3rd solo album ("Drastic Measures") starts to show the Manring that`s more well know to the masses. That`s when he started using his Zon Hyperbass and experiments with altered tunings, Ebow and extended solo pieces (like his 2 basses tune "Watson and Crick"). You`ll also find beautiful versions of tunes by Chick Corea, Sting and Jimi Hendrix (of course, with the distinctive Manring flavour :)

His 4th album is a turnover. In "Thonk" he rocks, literally. Is a rock album where he plays with guys like Steve Morse, Alex Skolnick and Tim Alexander. IMHO, is an amazing album, a piece of work you`d never expect from Manring.
    He takes the bass role even further, making it sound like a guitar, expanding Ebow capabilities even more, playing 3 basses simultaneously (without sounding like a Circus freak show) and much more.

He then took it from there and recorded 2 more albums with Skolnick and Alexander, in a project called "Attention deficit". It`s like an "avant garde experimental rock trio". There`s a lot more from him (multiple recordings with several artists bassists, guitar players, singers, early work with Michael Hedges and many more)

I don`t feel so qualified to comment his last 2 solo albums "The book of flame" and "Soliloquy". His experimentation goes even further (sometimes even for me) and it`s really important to read the inner notes of each album so you can fully appreciate what was the artist intention and the way it was played an recorded.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Thanks for that, I'll give Drastic Measures a go and work forwards or backwards from there, depending how it goes! Much appreciated.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Equilbré is my favourite Manring album. It's not typical Manring fare (if there is such a thing), just an album full of wonderful fretless playing and sunny, happy tunes. "Shuffle In" is just beautiful. If you're not so much a fan of Manring's more abstract work, maybe give this a try.

5. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Wow! Just goes to show how tastes differ!

"Unusual Weather" (1986) is a milestone in the solo bass literature. If you don't like IT, you prolly won't like much of anything else he did including with Montreaux, etc.:(

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Interesting Chris.
    Do you know where I can buy it?

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Well I've ordered DM so we shall see! I'll come back an let you know!

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    CD baby might have it, otherwise you'll need to speak to Michael. I was lucky enough to see a copy for sale on a forum.

9. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i loved thonk...book of flame is great...attention deficit is really cool, too...i'm a rocker, so, probably no surprise that i like those the best

10. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Tastes are interesting!

I love Unusual Weather and the piece "Welcoming" was the piece that introduced me to Michael Manring.

Lately I've actually been thinking how I enjoy his ensemble playing a bit more than the newest solo pieces. I enjoy his sense of melody in his older pieces a bit more than that in his newest pieces.