Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

michael manring

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by john turner, Aug 31, 2000.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    right now, i am listening to Music for Armchair Funambulist. geeze, michael is excellent - what a beautiful song. all the great chops present are transparent to the music. you guys need to check out his stuff.

unfortunately, http://www.manthing.com is going through some upgrading right now, so it's down.

2. He's incredible. I can't even get a handle on what he's doing. The solo pieces on "Drastic Measures", particularly "Red Right Returning", are incomprehensible.. how can one person with only two hands do all that!?! I saw him at the Windham Hill Winter Solstice concert at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta in '95, and after his solo spot, he came out again to back up some of the groups, and his ensemble playing was magnificent as well. It seems all his gigs are on the West Coast lately, I hope he makes it back here soon.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, me too - i think he is something else. i remember at one of the namm shows, la in '99, he came to the conklin booth and put on my doubleneck - it was cool, he's the only person who's ever tried it out and did something cool with it. he was tapping on both necks, pretty cool stuff too.

4. Boy you must have made him feel like a dope. All this time thinking he had to sling 2 basses around his neck! ;)

I think I mentioned this once before, but I attended a clinic he did at Berklee about 9 years ago. Simply amazing!

Dave,

Have you ever tried figuring out Red Right Returning? The alternate tuning for it is pretty basic, I'm at work and therefore without bass, but I think you just tune the A string to a B and the G string to an A. (he probably has it listed on his site, which is of course down right now :() But it's a lot of fun. (Well, the first minute and a half anyway, which is as far as I ever got! ;))

5. Stingray5,
    Yeah right!! Ha! That's a good one.
    Seriously, that's just one of those songs I sort of sit back and admire from afar. Once he starts getting into all that playing harmonics and chords and tapping at the same time, sliding two notes while holding down a third, that's when I check out! Congrats to you on having figured out even a part of it, though.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    manring is prolly the most awesome bassist I've ever heard play....Thonk was the first solo bass recording I had heard, and every time I hear it, I am just amazed at the way he plays.......what a dood...*wonders what mike was thinking when he strapped on JT's doubleneck* hey! watson and crick on one instrument! or mebbe even My Three Moons with 2!! hmmmmmmmmm..............
    t r i p l e n e c k yummy...................

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're ever stuck trying to figure out a Manring part (not like that ever happens), Michael was kind enough to post the altered tunings to *all* of his songs on his website.

BTW, Mark Egan's pretty handy with a doubleneck as well.

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I agree that MM is just completely amazing. But for whatever reason....I cannot listen to more than about 10 minutes of his music. It is a bit too "busy" for my taste...
    or....I am "dazed and confused".....:)

9. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Let us not forget, that while he has near-perfect technical ability, as well as extremely classy musical taste and timing, he also has a very comprehensive command over his bass gear. Whether it be Ebows or sustain or fx boxes, MM knows just how to get that perfect sound for a particular piece of music.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you think the recordings are amazing, you should try to see him live! It's amazing to see his hands flying over that three-octave fingerboard on his Hyperbasses (which I've played, they're awesome) also, there are compositions in which he retunes the bass while he's playing!

I've been a fan of Manring's since I got a tape of his first album, Unusual Weather. Since then, I found out about a group he was in called Montreux, with Darol Anger, Mike Marshall and Barbara Higbie. In it, Michael's more of a groove player than an all out soloist, but it's great to hear him in a more supportive setting. I recommend the albums "Let them say" and "Sign Language" (Michael composed the title track), as well as The Best of Montreux. All three are on Windham Hill.

Will C.:cool:

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i agree bw, i've seen him perform a few times impromptu at various namm shows, including the famous "3 basses at a time". the great thing was that, while the chops were great, really great, the music was really enjoyable, and to me that is _EXTREMELY_ rare. i can count the number of namm show performances that i have seen and actually enjoyed on 2 hands, out of 10 different namm shows, and countless showcases and impromptu booth performances. all fo the ones i've seen him perform qualify.