Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manring

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by skidog, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Michael Manring is coming to one of the bars I play in. Does anyone out there have suggestions for CDs of his to listen to? I already am getting "Drastic Measures", any others?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Thonk and The Book Of Flame come to mind.

I don't know if his Windham Hill catalogue is still available, I have Towards The Center Of The Night, great album, more mellowy-new-age-sounding than his new material.

But why not ask the man himself?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=42

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I already have !! But I still haven't managed to buy any CDs - I have tried every shop and every online retailer and nobody can provide me with any! :(

4. Yeah, if you find a copy of Thonk then you're a lucky man. Try getting your hands on Book of Flame - it's apparently easiest to get this direct from the record company. Details are presumably at Michael's website www.manthing.com. Also check out Equilibre with David Cullen. Very cool playing with David Cullen on nylon string geetar. Attention Deficit CD's are also worth trying. They're a little heavier and more "experimental" but with some really excellent playing by all concerned - Michael Manring, Alex Scolnick (ex-Testament), and Tim Alexander (Primus).

5. Bruce Lindfield

I've had an order in for Book of Flame since November - but no CD yet!! :(

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ATTENTION DEFiCIT - THE IDIOT KING!

a fave!

f

7. Bruce Lindfield

Oh no they're not!! Al there is now is a link to CD Now - but when you click on this and go to their site and search, they don't have any of Michael's CDs!! :(

I tried CD101 and they are the most unhelpful retailers I have ever dealt with - everything is automatic - you can't just talk or write to a real person!!! :mad:

So I got an email saying:

This email is to advise you that one or more titles you have ordered from
    us are:

- ready to ship (to be dispatched shortly), or
    - currently unavailable or deleted, or
    - has been cancelled (either by you or by us)

To view the full status on titles you have on order with us sign-in to
    your account using the link below."

But which is it!!!??

So - I click on the link and it asks me for my password and username - can't remember as I only wanted this one CD and it was November when I registered!

So - ask for password reminder - don't get it after 2 days - send an email to their customer services explaining this - get automated reply saying : you can check these details on your account - just log on here and give your username and password - argghhhhhh :mad: :mad:

8. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry we were posting at the same time!!

Honestly, I think my patience with online retailers has been exhausted - I clicked on this and it says : click here for country to be shipped ("enter shipping location") and nothing happens!

I give up!!

9. skidog here; Thanx for the replies guys. I'm heading down to one of the local eclectic record stores here in the Portland area to try my luck. I'm really looking forward to seeing Manring at the Ratskellar, a ski town bar with seating for only fifty or sixty people. The owner told me he is going to do at least half the show solo!

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    wow...thats the breaks man. When I met Michael after the Bass Bash I just asked him right there "you wouldn't happen to have any of your cds to sell? I have looked everywhere and have not found them" and he sold me his instructional video...and while I can't take it everywhere I can watch AND hear and thats just great.(he also had equilbre...but I wanted the video)