Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manson - The Bottom Line

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Mar 20, 2004.

1. I've had this recording for a few days and it's spectacular! Would anyone have an idea of what bass(es) that he used on this recording? He's pictured in the liner notes with a Fender Jazz 5, but his lead bass on the record doesn't sound like a Jazz 5. Sounds like it goes much higher, like a 6 or 7.

Thanks!

2. bump

3. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i think it was a fender five strung with a high c

4. Yeah, I guess that would do it. ;)

Thanks for the reply. :)

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've only seen him play a Fender 5 but I'm amost sure it's strung BEADG. He plays all over the neck and may get way up high. I also have this cd and while I think it is a good cd, it's not great. But then again, it's not really a 'bass' cd either. Kinda like what Tisdale is doing but he'd stomp Tisdale in skillz! Tisdale's got the funk though! Manson is a very good bassist and excellant showman!

6. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    i know mike and for recording he strung his five with a high c,live he us's a "regular tuned" 5 but for his solo show's he us's both,as far as waymon tinsdale, as a bass player he's a very nice guy who has, because of nba money and connections,got a chance to get opportunitys to play in some cool situations but is not a heavy cat imo.mike's intention was to make a smooth jazz cd that could be on the radio and that's what it is.

7. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

willgroove2: You seem to be heavily connected to the Chicago scene. Do you play alot or work in a studio in Chicago? I'm jealous, you know Bill and Michael. :p

8. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
  9. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
  10. bassiclogic

bassiclogic

Mar 2, 2010
    I believe his melody bass is a 5 string Roscoe bass strung as a 6 string with out the low B! ( EADGC)