1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Michael Manson - The Bottom Line

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Mar 20, 2004.

1. I've had this recording for a few days and it's spectacular! Would anyone have an idea of what bass(es) that he used on this recording? He's pictured in the liner notes with a Fender Jazz 5, but his lead bass on the record doesn't sound like a Jazz 5. Sounds like it goes much higher, like a 6 or 7.

Thanks!

2. bump

3. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i think it was a fender five strung with a high c

4. Yeah, I guess that would do it. ;)

Thanks for the reply. :)

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've only seen him play a Fender 5 but I'm amost sure it's strung BEADG. He plays all over the neck and may get way up high. I also have this cd and while I think it is a good cd, it's not great. But then again, it's not really a 'bass' cd either. Kinda like what Tisdale is doing but he'd stomp Tisdale in skillz! Tisdale's got the funk though! Manson is a very good bassist and excellant showman!

6. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    i know mike and for recording he strung his five with a high c,live he us's a "regular tuned" 5 but for his solo show's he us's both,as far as waymon tinsdale, as a bass player he's a very nice guy who has, because of nba money and connections,got a chance to get opportunitys to play in some cool situations but is not a heavy cat imo.mike's intention was to make a smooth jazz cd that could be on the radio and that's what it is.

7. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

willgroove2: You seem to be heavily connected to the Chicago scene. Do you play alot or work in a studio in Chicago? I'm jealous, you know Bill and Michael. :p

8. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
  9. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
  10. bassiclogic

bassiclogic

Mar 2, 2010
    I believe his melody bass is a 5 string Roscoe bass strung as a 6 string with out the low B! ( EADGC)