michael mcdonald's bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jazzyb, Mar 4, 2004.

1. jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Can anybody tell me who mr. mcdonald's bassist is?
    I'm thinking of the guy on the " Motown" album, haven't got a clue if he's his regular player, any info would be great.
  2. The incomparable Nathan East is credited with about half the tracks on the Motown album , Along with a keyboardist named Toby Baker who plays the bass on Since I lost my Baby and I'm assuming does the remaining tracks with synth or B3 organ . Mcdonald has been in the so called smooth Jazz scene for quite a while , not sure who tours with him but you can be sure whoever it is from this scene they will be top notch.
    armybass likes this.
  3. jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Thanks for that info Rick. I saw a session on the BBC's " Top Of The Pops 2 " programme in which he played "Signed Sealed", I seem to rember the bassist was quite a mature guy in age with glasses and sporting a beard. Any clues!! he certainly inspired me.
  4. jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Can't put faces to all the names I've heard of but certainly not the familiar face of Mr Sklar.
  5. skeezthapimp

Aug 30, 2014
    Hey jazzyb, I was looking for the guitarist's name of Michael McDonald's new band and came across this. The bassist you are looking for I believe just so happens to be Tommy Sims. Dark black dude always rockin some shades and knows how to hold the pocket down like no one else. He resides in Nashville Tennessee I'm not sure if thats which bb kings you attended. but yee. I hope I correctly answered your question. He is mainly a music producer and has won several grammy's, one in which for a song you might of heard of called "Change the World" by eric clapton. Tommy Sims actually wrote that track and sold/produced it to/for Eric Clapton.
  6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    There's two "Motown" albums that McDonald released, both feature Nathan East and Abe Laboriel. It's not uncommon for "AAA" level studio guys like East or Laboriel to perform on an artist's albums but not go on the road with them. Reasons for this are generally scheduling and/or $$$.

McDonald's road bassist for the last several years has usually been Lanice Morrison, who is a mature guy with glasses and a beard, although not as mighty a beard as Lee Sklar's.
    SwitchGear and armybass like this.