Michael Moore w/ Bill Evans Trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    This month's Jazz Times has a glowing review of Getting Sentimental on the Milestone label.

Y'all have probably heard about that fella who went around taping all BE's NYC gigs from 1966-1980. Some of the Fantasy-years stuff has been out for a while as The Secret Sessions, but none of the Warner-era stuff (1976-80) has been released, because AOL-TimeWarner Did Not Want It To Be So.

Now, apparently, we are blessed with this new disc. It's from February, 1978 and is the actual night that was Michael's audition for the BE3 job. The review says that Evans was in unusually fine form -- gee, might Michael's work have had anything to do with that? And of course, this is the only recording of the Evans-Moore-Jones trio yet to be released.

Anybody heard it? Any word on what Michael Moore says?

Man, it must have been a very bittersweet moment for him when he left the BE3 . . .

EDITED: Short streams are here: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=6130488&cart=159090724 and that's that: I'm off to the record store!
  2. Man, this is the first i've heard of this. Actually I worked with Bill and Joe in San Francisco at the Jazz Workshop in 1965. They really loved each other.
    I've read some of the stuff about how crazy some of this got to be with Bill and Joe. Mike had his work cut out for him!
    Sam, let us know if you get it. I'll go look too. Thanks for the heads up.
  3. I'm very interested in this recording as well because of its historic import, and because Michael Moore seems like a perfect bassist for Evans. I plan to pick it up (or order it). Does anyone here own "The Secret Sessions" box and give some idea of what the sound quality might be?

I never knew that Moore had played with B.E. until I read the Evans bio 'How My Heart Sings.' The author interviewed Michael about it, and it sounded like it was pretty disappointing experience. As Paul said, Bill and Philly Joe Jones were really tight personally, and the drinking, drugging and general carousing got to be too much for Michael (Don, Paul, correct me if I'm misinterpreting this).

Although he is unquestionably one of the greatest drummers in jazz history, it seems to me that an explosive drummer like Jones might have been an odd choice for the intimate, conversational milieu we're accustomed to hearing from Evan's trio.

Very curious to hear this CD and will offer a full report.
  4. oh, and Paul, by the way.....

Note to self: Be very nice to Paul W.
  5. I don't know about any drinking! Yes, I worked with them for about a month and a half.
    Check out Interplay They sounded great together. Bill might have been conversational with certain bassists, but he played as hard and cooked as hard as anyone i've heard! One of his favorite bass players was Percy Heath and he isn't very conversational.
    Of course with Mike, it would be conversational but Joe could do that too. And as it says in the book, there were problems.
  6. Thanks, Paul. Yeah, I've heard Bill Evans records where he positively burned it up, and I forget what a delicate player Jones could be.

It's one thing to read about jazz history, but it is totally another to hear it from someone who was THERE being a part of it! I'm sure that I'm not alone in wanting to learn any impressions, musical or otherwise, that you might want to share about your time spent with Mssrs. Evans and Jones.
  7. Mike, on another thread, Bob Branstetter had brought up the fact that I had done this gig and before I joined TB, he had asked if I would tell him about my time with Bill.I sent this stuff to him in installments calling it "Bill and Paul" Eventually i'll doctor it up and submit it. Meanwhile i'll be glad to answer any questions. I was 23 years old and got the gig solely on the recomendation of the great lady pianist Pat Moran, who Scott LaFaro did his first record with. It was the single greatest musical experience of my life.
  8. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Not to intrude on Paul's extremely -- uniquely -- interesting discourse -- I mean, hot spit!! The BE3!! How cool is that!!

Uh, right. Not to intrude on Paul's discourse, but I am literally listening to Sentimental Mood now for the first time. Some impressions:

a) In short, if you like Bill Evans, Michael Moore or piano jazz, it's worth going out of your way to get this disc. Surprised?

b) The sonic quality is "good." It is not "recorded on purpose" but the sound is certainly not unduly distractive.

c) I'm fairly familiar with Michael's playing in this period. This is without question the most adventurous backing I've ever heard him play, and it's highly successful. The bass solos sound like Michael, which is to say, they're top-rank. My initial impression of Michael's soloing is that this record may not reach the melodic standard he set on Brookmeyer's Live at Sandy's but there is a welcome edge here. Kinda like he was damn psyched to play Sunday at the Vanguard with BE and Philly Joe, eh?

I will be studying this record for a long time, ladies and gentlemen. There is much to enjoy and digest. Bon appetit.
  9. Now to continue about ME after that rude interuption......Just kidding Sam!
    I better get my butt out today and get it! The "edge" you describe sure makes sense. I've always been a MM fan too. My friend, the pianist Dick Hindman heard this band in Boulder, Co. when we were playing in Denver together. He said Mike played a solo almost completely in 10ths and was one of the best bass solos he'd ever heard.
    I love the story Mike tells about Bill and Joe going out, both stoned to the hilt, and buying band uniforms for the trio. I guess the suits were LESS than conservative and poor Mike had to wear his on the gigs....This among other things, certainly made things difficult.
    I'll try to get a copy today and join you in listening Sam. Thanks!
    PS Hot spit????
  10. The suits were powder blue polyester, with pink ties. Michael has a picture on the wall in his apartment.
    Also, Evans and Philly both were seriously rushing the tempos.
  11. Don, i'd forgotten that i'd read a post that you'd studied with Mike. If you're in touch, say hello.
    Do you have the CD? If you do, what do you think? Just listening to Mikes solo on the title cut, Sentimental Over You, Joes left hand is stepping all over Mike. You can actually hear Mike waiting for him to do it so he (Mike) can get a word in.
    That last statement was made just listening to the download Sam provided. Sorry, but it brought back some memories.
  12. Paul Warburton with Bill Evans Trio
    Circa 1964...Jazz Workshop S.F. Bad photo sorry.
  13. Who knows Paul, maybe someday, someone will discover a long lost bootleg tape of you with BET. That would be one I would have to get.
  14. Guys, and Sam in particular....I owe you an apology! This is a Recordings thread and I got way off on the Bill and me thing.
    My only excuse is that this is my first time on a talk type site. It takes some time to learn it's a good idea to stick with the program and REMEMBER what the subject of the thread is! Sorry, that stuff should have been posted somewhere else!
  15. Paul:

Fuggeddaboudit. Around here, threads are always going off on tangents, and sometimes, especially if the tangent is a compelling as this one, the thread ends up the better for it (no offense, Sam).

However, if you'd like to start a new thread titled something like: "My Time as bassist in the BE3, an incrementally and excruciatingly detailed account" it wouldn't be a bad thing.
  16. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Paul, it's just like a good group working with good tunes. You can go as far "outside" as you want so long as everyone is digging it. You've got no problems in that department. Don't hold yourself back!!