Michael Moore's strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Michael Moore endorsed Innovation Picato didn't he?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    My god!
    I thought I was crazy! :D
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it's considered "crazy" if you actually make money, every time you change your strings...? ;)
  4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    ... which isn't my case! :rollno:
  5. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    I heartily recommend the Innovations, the arco ones at least. They have turned out to be the Holy Grail of strings, for me, anyway. They are very quick under the bow, very rich- sounding, low in tension, and they stay in tune better than steel strings. The pizz sound is full, even at low volumes. They even made all the wolf notes on my bass go away!
    Jason, what made you quit using them?
  6. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    Does anyone know what Michael More is using now? Someone in this thread said he dumped the Innovations.
  7. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Innovation strings are made by Picato.
    I asked them.
  8. It's like Jason said. Michael changed strings only a little less frequently than he changed his socks. Innovations were gone years ago. At one time he was using D'Adarrio arco strings for pizz on a modest German bass. The last setup I saw, which he had for a couple of years, was Obligato E, A, and D and a Spirocore G. That makes no sense to me, but who in hell am I? Michael can get tone out of barbed wire. I'm claiming credit for the Obligatos; he first heard them on my bass. This is on a Christopher plywood, which he has been using for years with Brubeck. His Grunert has been for sale over at Gage's for a while.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Don, is Michael using a fully laminated Christopher still? Do you know if he has any recordings with this bass?

I have heard that Michael goes back and forth between strings. For him it probably has a lot to do with feel. I imagine he sounds great no matter what strings he is playing!
  10. Fully laminated. The $2K model. All his recordings with Brubeck are on the Christopher. Any recording he's done in the last 5 years. I have a cheap Radio Shack tape of myself playing his bass and the recorded tone is very good. The Obligato/Spirocore setup was unchanged for about 2 1/2 years. He tours so much I don't see him at all.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Don. I just ordered one of those Christopher Busettos recently. I'll have it probably in September. It is very interesting that Michael likes the Spirocore on top. I have noticed that the Obligato G doesn't have as much punch as the Spiro though.....
  12. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    My luthier friend here in Nashville, Jim Ferguson, is a board member of the ISB and has studied with Michael Moore. He told me that he spoke with Michael Moore recently and he is using the Innovation 140H set. Apparently he used them in the past, stopped using them, but then started again after some changes were made to their design. On the other hand, from what I've heard about Michael's habits, that could change any time!
  13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    No kidding...apparently he's used two different sets just today! :smug:

It's good to see that a monster like Michael isn't any more immune to string experimentation than we mere mortals.
  14. Don't forget...Mikes using Gages Czech Ease on the road with Brubeck. At least he was when I saw him on TV a couple months ago.