Michael Rutherford's bass...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Scroller, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    I always thought Michael Rutherford used a Rickenbacker bass. It sure sounds like one on the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway recording. Anyway, I've recently acquired some live Genesis on DVD (Genesis Live 1976 at the Apollo). Has anybody seen this video, and do you know what kind of bass he's using? It's a very interesting looking instrument and I don't think it's a Rickenbacker. It is double necked with apparently more than 4 strings on each neck. He sure is getting a great sound...
  2. he had a doubleneck Rick, and also a double-necked Shergold (both 12 string guitar and 4 string bass)

in a BGM interview he mentioned also using a Microfrets bass.
  3. Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    Thanks for the link! Exactly what I was looking for. I'm almost sure he's using the Shergold at the concert.
  4. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    He used a Micro-Frets six string bass (E-A-D-G-B-E) on "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" and had it combined with a Rickenbacker 12-string electric for the tour. The same doubleneck was used on "A Trick Of The Tail" album and tour. The Shergolds came after that.

Mike's Micro-Frets/Rickenbacker doubleneck

His Rickenbacker was also a "hatchet" job and in my opinion it looks better than Rickenbacker's own production model 4080/12 which only came to production a couple of years later.

He also used briefly this doubleneck on "Trick" tour. It's apparently that Dick Knight guitar he mentions in that "Beat Instrumental" article.
  5. louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    I believe the MicroFrets was not used on the Trick tour as you can see in the Genesis In Concert video from that tour with Bruford. He's using that double-neck thing that looks vaguely Hagstrom-esque with the P-Pickup, J-Pickup and another pickup, all on the bass half.