Michael Steele (former Bangles bass player)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LCipher, Jan 6, 2010.

1. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
    Hey guys/gals - was hoping you might be able to help me out on a bass player question. I'm working with some other folks on website for Michael Steele (former bass player for the Bangles, and a ton of other bands). www.mickisteele.net (click on "Instruments").

There is a section we want to add that discusses instruments - as a guitar player I'm fairly un-knowledgeable on the details of bass guitars. If you would like to help out, I need technical details on especially her 1971 Fender P-Bass, EMG pickups, and BadAss bridges. What advantages does EMG and /or BadAss briges give etc. Are the most commonly used EMG pickups always active?

Also - if you have stories, met, worked with, etc with Michael I'd love hear them and add them to the site.

I've always thought her bass lines were pretty darn good - a lot more than some people expect. If you've ever seen her play the Yardbirds "Im Not Talking" (singing at the same time) you'd know what I mean.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  2. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Im a web designer and bass player, but I dont know her work outside of some Bangles songs on the radio. If you cant find anyone to help with more specific knowledge involving her, PM me. I can give you gear info.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  3. normalized

normalized

Jun 25, 2009
    san francisco
    Just checked out the web site and the instruments page, wow! I was at that show in San Francisco 2003, the band looked and sounded great. I think Michael left the band shortly afterwards.

Dont' have any bass insight but I thought she was pretty bad assed even with Suzanna and the sisters there.

Also wasn't playing bass yet so can't even remember the bass...

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    LCipher, that is a very nice website you have designed! EMG pickups are almost always active except for the low budget EMG Select pickups. Badass bridges were designed by Leo Quan, and have been a very common after market modification for Fender basses for the last thirty years. Most use them to increase mass for better sustain, and supposedly better intonation.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  5. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
    Thanks! I think she's quite an amazing musician. And Thanks DrCheese for the info.

Anything in particular about a 1970 vintage P-Bass that is special? Or are they (were they) pretty consistent over the years?

(Ok - I admit that was a loaded question. Worms/can definitely apply!)

6. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    [​IMG]

7. Everybody was digging Susanna Hoffs, but I was really into Micki all along.

Something about bass + girls = gaaaah...!

Even Emma Stone clueless in The Rocker does it for me (and I love red headed women).

8. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
    Can someone identify the EMGs and BadAss bridges? There is supposed to be two with the EMG and BadAsses, and one stock:

http://www.mickisteele.net/images/pbass_1.jpg
    http://www.mickisteele.net/images/pbass_2.jpg
    http://www.mickisteele.net/images/pbass_3.jpg

http://www.mickisteele.net/images/badass.jpg
    http://www.mickisteele.net/images/emgpbass.jpg

My guess is 1 and 2, and 3 is stock. You can definitelysee the polepieces on the #3. The other two have the smooth surface that the EMGs would have. I personally cant tell on the BadAss bridges....

9. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    To my (untrained) eye, #1&2 both have EMG's, while #3 is stock. #1 appears to have a Badass 2 (second generation) bridge, whereas #2 looks like perhaps a Badass 1 (1st gen) bridge. AFAIK, Badass 2's are bigger than 1's, which is why I think pic 2 shows a BA1, but perhaps another aftermarket bridge. Definitely doesn't look stock to me (the tailpiece is too thick).

10. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    1 is definitely EMGs and a Badass. I think 2 is also. 3 is stock.

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    At the risk of sounding like a nit-picker, my advice on the website is just this: make sure you spell "Michael" correctly every time! Spelling it "-eal" is a very common mistake, but I guarantee Michael will notice.

13. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
    My HUGE weakness. Spelling..... thanks! :crying:

BTW - there is a guestbook up now if anyone wishes to sign. http://www.mickisteele.net/contact.php

14. Don't forget the anecdote about her auto accident pre-Bangles, when her "beloved 1976 StingRay," as she put it, got destroyed. I remember reading about it during the Doll Revolution promo period.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  15. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
    Do you have more info on this? I *vaguely* remember something about this. And I take it that is a "Music Man" StingRay and not a Corvette?!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A 1976 Music Man Stingray would be a very collectible bass, probably worth at least $2,500. They were the first mass produced active basses, and the first basses made by Leo Fender after his non-competition clause with CBS/Fender expired.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  17. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
    How does a bass guitar get destroyed in an accident? That must have been one hell of a crash!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  18. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    IMMusicRulz likes this.
  19. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
    Anyone have any info on the bass in this pic? Hagstrom.

[​IMG]

And here's a pic - Jackson 5 string.
    [​IMG]

20. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021