Michael Steele (former Bangles bass player)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LCipher, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla

2. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool! Glad to see she's still playing. I wish I could be of help. I just remember seeing the Bangles at a small club after the first album came out (but before Manic Monday, etc.). They were the real deal. They rocked, and they sang really well--no backing musicians of any kind. Michael was playing some good lines, too. I felt like the record company glammed them up and overproduced their records after that, but that show sticks with me.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  3. She is one of my favorite bass player (check my profile and see the others who are waaay different than her;). Her bass lines in the Bangles were always tasteful.
    Is she playing with a band now?

BTW, this is the question I always wanted to ask native speakers: is it common to have Michael as a woman name? I always thought it was solely a man name.
    And her name is Michael is pronounced same as Michael Jackson and not like Michelle Pfeiffer, right?

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  4. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    It's a very uncommon woman's name. But I'd rather be a woman named Michael than a boy named Sue.

And yes, it's pronounced like "Michael Jackson." Or Jordan.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  5. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Before Michael joined The Bangles, she went by the nickname Micki (pronounced like Mickey Mouse).

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  6. LCipher

LCipher

Dec 13, 2009
    No, unfortunately not (well actually I have no idea, but not "high profile" if she is) - hope the site doesnt mislead people. But there's lot of good stuff that nobody knows about. There is a whole set of songs from her 1994 band up (playing rhythm guitar), as well as some really great bass playing from "Elton Duck" all the way from the 1980s. Check out "Last Tag" and tell me she cant play bass!

http://www.mickisteele.net/cw_interview.html
    http://www.mickisteele.net/elton_duck.html

Not that she doesnt play (this from her friend) - "Steele currently enjoys life away from the glare of the Hollywood spotlight, and devotes her considerable energy to environmental causes, politics, and artistic pursuits - including music"

7. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    I have The Bangles All Over The Place, Different Light and Everything In my collection as well as a few Bangles compilation albums.
    From what I can tell, Michael Steele mostly used the aforementioned 1976 Music Man Stingray Bass (one of the first StingRay basses, from what I know.) Annette Zilinskas also used a Fender Precision Bass in The Bangles before she got sacked.
    She also used a Music Man Sabre Bass, and a lot of 60s and 70s Fender Precision Bass and Fender Jazz Bass guitars, and (on the Doll Revolution album) a Yamaha SG2000 Electric guitar.
    The Bangles, from what Steve Mc has told me, mostly used a lot of Fender Twin Reverb and Fender Bassman Amps (they can be seen on the front cover and inside sleeve of All Over The Place) but I finally scrounged around my record collection and noticed that The Bangles mostly used Michael Soldano Custom Amps, Music Man Amps, and Ampeg Amps. I have also read that Michael Steele played a Fender Bass VI that belonged to Vicki Peterson. Her ex-fiancée Bobby Donati, a guitar collector who was also a guitar technician and avid guitar collector who died Of leukemia in 1991, owned several Fender Bass VI and Fender Stratocaster and Fender Telecaster Guitars and Amps.
    I can tell that Paul McCartney, Rick Danko and John Entwistle were the biggest influences on the bass playing of Michael Steele.
    Michael Steele, Susanna Hoffs and Vicki Peterson also endorses Carvin Guitars and Carvin Amps for a very brief time. Michael Steele is seen holding a Carvin Electric guitar on the front cover of an April 1987 Rolling Stone issue. (I actually had this issue, and stupidly sold it to Half Price Books.)

Here is that picture:

Attached Files:

8. ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3-origin-images.politico.com%2F081126_steele_ideas.jpg

Mark 63 likes this.
  9. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    She was the original bassist in the Runaways.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021