Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael, Steve, and Jeff Schmidt in San Jose

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by chucko58, Jan 29, 2006.

1. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    What a day! First Steve's master class, then over to the Espresso Garden. Jeff Schmidt, Steve, and Michael each did solo sets, then Steve joined Michael, then Jeff joined them. WOW!

Michael and Steve, you have left me one very satisfied music lover. My wife enjoyed the show too. I can't wait for the next one!

2. Yeah! That was a great day. Killer bass playing and some good amateur comedy too. :D

- Dave

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Guys,

it was a real pleasure to see you both - great to meet up again, Chucko, and great to finally meet you, David.

I'll be there, same time same place next year :)

thanks for coming out!

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

4. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    from 10:30am at masterclass start - till 11PM gig close -was a non stop learning experience for me.

Thanks to Steve & Michael!

5. Hey Jeff. I thought you played an amazing set and the bass trio thing at the end was great. You're going to have a great solo bass future. I think you blew a lot of minds. The "Bass Extremes" thing gave us a hint but I wasn't quite prepared for what you played. You exceeded my expectations and I had pretty high expectations.

Michael played brilliantly, as usual, offering even more varied perspectives on his newer and older material. Every time I hear Michael, he plays his compositions differently. I mean that in the best possible way. I think if we can learn anything from him, it's that music is a journey, not a destination.

Steve, I really learned a lot at the masterclass. I am looking forward to applying some of the things I learned. Especially when I get my Looperlative. Your performances were also brilliant. I had a great time!

- Dave

6. botched

botched

Jan 26, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Michael, Steve, and Jeff... Great show all! Thanks for the music!

[​IMG]

7. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hey Dave - thanks so much! That's very kind of you.

It was great to meet you at the class. I'm really looking forward to our gig in May!

Great pic botched - thanks for posting it!

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Great Show!

I had the pleasure to sit next to Rick Turner who nearly caused a fight during the middle of Steve's set! It was classic.

9. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I was seated behind the target of Turner's wrath - some young putz who didn't know when to shut up. Rick may have been a little overly aggravated, but I wanted to punch the kid through a wall myself.

10. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    I was at the show, brought my girl, her comment about the show was 'these guys are amazing, and their basses sound nothing like yours.' (I'm a passive PBass blues guy) Gotta admit, with all the effects Steve had going, I thought I could have been at a Pink Floyd show. Steve really showed how one can use a bass to demonstrate the flexibility of the bass.

Personally, I could identify closest with Jeff's style as it didn't require hands moving at 100MPH (ala Manring's), but had a clean, clear beat throughout the pieces. Bonus to playing standing up so we could see what you were doing.

As for Turner's wrath... I was behind Turner (I was probably sitting next to chucko (if he's the guy who brought his daughter in the backrow). It went something like this:

Steve is laying some some serious funk which could have accompanied The Enterprise. While I agree that 'not everybody likes every bass style', this guy was making it known to all of us in the backrow (the dude wasn't in the backrow/bench but sitting in the 2nd to backrow). He just didn't shut up. It was quite annoying and then Steve finished up his set and...

Turner (turning to the punk wearing a shirt that said "World's Most Accurate Drummer") "SHUT THE F*(k UP!" (said about 3x).

The punk made some smart a$$ comments and I thought Turner was going to get up and whip this kid.

The highlight of it came when Steve mentioned that his new fretless was made by Turner "the guy in the back that keeps heckling me." Ole Turner then, as if on cue, turns to said punk and adds "Yeah, he's referring to me, the one who told you to shut the (*$*($ up"

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    No, we were on the other side of the guy and his daughter, directly behind the jerk.

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    What's funny about the whole ordeal is that my buddies and I now refer to the "jerk" as "The Worlds Most Accurate Drummer"...I wonder if he's a TBer :meh:

13. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    Yes, told pretty accurately! Only Steve's set was about half-way through, and the jerk had been jabbering right through Jeff's wonderful set (great playing, wonderful stuff) and half-way into Steve's, and said jerk was sitting right behind my pals Patricia and Omar Jana from the Dominican Republic, and I was trying to show them a spectacular night of music they probably wouldn't get where they live. Patricia actually asked me about "el jerk" and yes, I just went off on the guy.

Yes, Steve is a special friend of mine, and I was particularly bugged to have his set ruined for me and my friends, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat for any of you if I went to your show and some a..hole was jabbering through your set. I take listening to music as seriously as you all take playing it, and I expect to be able to go to gigs and actually hear the performer, not some twit sitting behind me who is only there to star f... Yes, Michael was the headliner, and he was incredible, but so were Jeff and Steve in their own very different ways.

The funny thing was that about five minutes after I called him out on that, he got up to go piss, and he hissed something very nasty in my ear. Then when Steve acknowledged my participation in his dissolute life as a bassist, el jerk's pal leaned over to him and said something about who I was...which is no big deal to me, but what the heck, I did write 65 columns for Bass Player and build basses for a bunch of folks, and I guess that gives me notoriety.

After Steve's set, four people came up to me to thank me for doing speaking up, and one of my friends there, Brian Wilson who is probably known here and is about 6' 4" and a good 275 lbs. said, "Rick, there's 60 bass players who have your back here!" Then he ordered another bass...

So, fair warning. I don't care who you are, but if I'm at a gig and you're being rude to whoever is playing on stage, I'll get in your face. We can all mildly and lovingly heckle our pals between songs, but when the music is playing, I'm listening and I expect you to be, too. Or just leave, please. This isn't TV.

14. [​IMG]

Go get 'em tiger!! :D

15. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    A huge thanks to Rick for standing up for 'listener's rights' - the Espresso Garden has always been a great venue for proper focussed listening audiences. I wish I'd heard the dickhead that was talking - I'm pretty good at dealing with that kind of thing... :)

...I hope little drummer boy was suitably embarrassed when he realised a) that everything thought he was behaving like a dick, and b) the guy he was messing with is arguably the most important figure in the development of the electric bass after Leo Fender (that's Rick not me. :D )

Rick - 'twas great to see you as always - hope to see you again soon, either here, there or in the Dominican. ;)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

16. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    Steve, all I can say is, "Thanks for the music...and the muse whom you do bring to the forefront." Let's hope there's a gig there in Santo Domingo for you and all fine musicians in the future. Omar and Patricia are really fine folks and are part of our musical community beyond borders.

Aside: I'm listening to Martin Simpson and hearing a place for your bass!

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't want to sound greedy, but do you have more pictures of this performance? This one is great!

Joe

18. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    The gig was a blast -- thanks so much for coming, everyone! It was a great pleasure to play with two such inspiring bassists. I get the feeling these days that there’s a new thing happening with our instrument and it’s thrilling to be part of it.

I apologize for being completely oblivious to the drama going on in the audience. It’s always disappointing when folks feel the need to chat during what’s clearly a listening gig, but completely bizarre to think that anyone who (as I gather was the case here?) was there to see me wouldn’t be absolutely mesmerized by Jeff and Steve. Thanks to Rick for attempting to set things right. I hope this guy got the message!