Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael, what type of Strings do you use

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by slapn'captain, Oct 5, 2002.

1. slapn'captain

slapn'captain

Aug 8, 2002
    First off I must say that I admire your playing greatly, and listening to your pieces I have started to use alternate tunings but they are killing my strings so if you could give me some advice or anything about this it would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Slapn,

Thanks for your message! There are two sets of strings that I use primarily, both made by D'Addario. On my main fretless and fretted basses I use EXL220s (light gauge nickel round wounds), for higher tunings (including on my Hyperbass) I use EXL220s. I find that I can tune the 220s over a range of about a fifth -- tuning the E string antwhere from B to F#, for instance -- the 280's are more flexible. I've used some tunings on the Hyperbass where the low string is tuned to Eb below standard and some where it is tuned an octave above that.

Have fun!

3. slapn'captain

slapn'captain

Aug 8, 2002
    thank you

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love EXL220s ...thats what I've always used up till I got my fodera...I have DRs on there now...but next time I restring I'll be getting EXL220s.....imo they are some of the best strings out there(at least for the stuff I do)