Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael's "Bass Essentials" Video

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi guys,
    I've been practicing to this video for a few months now, and I'm having a lot of fun with the permutations-there's a thousand ways to practice them I've discovered. What I'd like to know is if you still use the same practicing regime shown on the video. The tape is over a decade old, so obviously there's a good chance you've found new or different methods of practicing these left and right-hand permutations that you have found useful. Is there anything you show in the permutations you no longer practice? Also, do you practice each permutation starting with each of your two fingers, or do you tend to favor one finger to pluck the first note with?

Funny thing about how I got the tape-I recieved this video on accident last year. I had order a copy of the Thonk video on eBay, and I was sent this instead, not knowing the difference. Im glad it came though, and now I am just trying to hunt down all your other tapes on the used market.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully you can play out here on the east coast sometime (I kicked myself when I moved from Cleveland to Connecticut and you played Night Town again just a couple of weeks later.)

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Bryan,

I’m glad that video is working for you -- especially since it’s not what you thought you were getting! I do still practice the permutation exercises I demonstrated in that tape. In fact, many of them I still do every day. As you guessed, I have adapted and expanded the idea over the years, but the basic premise remains the same: break down a skill into its constituent parts, practice all the variations of those parts then practice putting them together. Also as you guessed, I do practice the exercises starting with each right hand finger. I should have mentioned in the video that’s an important aspect of developing flexibility and comprehensiveness in technique.

Sorry we missed you at NightTown last time. I hope to see you in Connecticut soon!