Michael's Larrivee

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by kimstevens, Mar 8, 2003.

1. kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Hi Michael.

Can you tell us what strings you use on your Larivee, and how you most often tune it? I'm particularly curious as to whether you have tried using piccolo strings on it.

Also, is it a 34" scale instrument, and do you have much difficulty keeping it well-adjusted for playing?

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Kim,

My Larrivee is a 34" scale 5-string fretless acoustic bass guitar and I usually use the same strings on it that I use on my other basses -- D'Addario EXL220 and EXL280. I use lots of different tunings with the Larrivee, but I tend to use EADGC if I'm going to be playing it on a session where I need to be able to improvise a lot or sight-read. I usually use a combination of standard (the EXL220's) and piccolo strings (the EXL280's) on it, but I change the combination depending on what seems to work best for the tuning. Sometimes I'll use all four piccolo strings and a low A from the standard set, sometimes all the standard strings and a high C from the piccolo set, sometimes other combinations. I've tried it with a low B, but it doesn't seem to like to be tuned that low, so it's usually somewhere at D below low E or above. Fortunately, it is a very forgiving instrument and I rarely do anything to maintain it or even adapt the set-up for the different stringings.