Micheal Anthony?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RIZ, May 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whats the general consensus of Micheal Anthony of Van Halen? Not too flashy, but he's in the pocket and pounds pretty hard....

Agree, Disagree? why?
  2. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    He rocks! You don't listen to Van Halen for the bass lines, but he basically IS Running With the Devil. Very cool on Poundcake as well.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When you've got the Alex and Eddie onstage, the one thing you need is someone to ground the whole pick/stick circus.

I don't know if he can smoke but he seems perfect for the job, just like AC/DC's beat machine laying it down for Angus.
  4. rickbass

Uh......that's why I mentioned his name in relation to AC/DC. :rolleyes:

Angus Young is their lead guitarist/showman. Not the same Angus, evidently, unless he leads a double life.
  5. rickbass

heavy - I didn't get the reason for the inclusion of the"Angus plays for AC/DC" statement. Kind of threw me.

We have had people here often, who think that someone using a prominent bassist's name is actually that person. One guy used to be "Les Claypool" and a couple of the newbies got all hot and bothered when he posted something about his "MIM Jazz." Yeah, like Les keeps it right next to his Carl Thompsons.
  6. rickbass

heavy - hook, line, and sinker.

In that old thread, I think "Les" was thinking about installing his own bridge replacement and needed advice. Poor Primus...no road techs :D
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Michael Anthony did his job well. He is a great singer too. He is responsible for all that screaming. Not bad for a fat dude.
  8. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey, we fat guys can scream well! ;)
  9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    The guy is a freaking joke people. Yeah, he does just hold down the end, but he could at least play something more than whole notes in doing so 95% of the time. This has to be the luckiest bastard in music. Look at what band he got in, in relation to his talent.
  10. So you don't like how he plays. That's fine. When your first major label release comes out you can show us all how its supposed to be done.
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Just shows you don't need to have a nice ass to play bass. Though it helps, believe me.
  12. Considering the busy styles of the brothers Van Halen he does what takes to get the job done my friend. He was also an integral part of their vocal harmony sound. He may not be Victor Wooten but I'd bet he'd smoke you in a heartbeat JWC.
  13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    ZoomBoy, have you ever seen me play boy? No, I didn't think so. Stop making assanine, assuming statements.
  14. On the contrary, it isn't me who makes asinine, assuming statements. Have you ever seen Van Halen live? If you aren't impressed with someone's playing say just that, period.
  15. I think he plays some great fills on the "right here, right now" live album that aren't on the studio versions. (if only his ultrabass solo didn't end with 5 minutes of distorted crap....)
    "Fair Warning"'s got some pretty nifty playing on it too eg. Meanstreet, Push comes to shove- "sunday afternoon in the park" sounds like just bass and drums.

but JWC will always bash Mike Anthony - I think it's one of the posting rules of Talkbass:D
  16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    no, Fieldy bashing is
  17. as being bass players we are the make or break of most bands. you can say that M.A. is bad, and true he never made me want to pick up a bass but he does a perfect job. no ifs and or buts

same with cliff from AC/DC and many others their simple lines do what we are supposed to do. . .SUPPORT

Geddy,Les,Flea,Vic and others are great but thier style would blow in a band like VH or AC/DC
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    You should never judge a book by it's cover. After all those years of playing with Van Halen, Id say it's safe to say Michael Anthony can play alot better than what we all hear on the cd's. He probobly just does what the music calls for, or what Eddie tells him to play. But I have recieved a few complaints now on this thread and can see that it is starting to get somewhat hostile. So this thread is now CLOSED!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.