Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Micheal Moore

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, Jun 7, 2003.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I was just wondering if anyone has read any of his books or watched any of his videos. I saw his second video... cant remember what its called for the life of me. I felt that he had some really good points in the video. However when i read his book "Stupid White Men" I lost quite a bit of respect for him. He just seems like he was bitching a little too much. Someone who prolly needs to stay away from politics and more into the whole social rights issues that he achieved his preliminary fame with. Any thoughts?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    tick tock tick tock

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I haven't read any of his books or watched any of his films (I heard Bowling for Columbine is good), but from what I've seen of him, he seems a bit to preachy for my taste. He seems like one of those ultra-liberals that makes the good liberals look bad.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    certainly his "speech" at the oscars earned him a bad rep from a lot of people.

in fact, literally overnight, I heard people praise him, then insult him. It's ridiculous how people's opinions can change so greatly so quickly.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Michael Moore can be funny but his books and movies are full of half truths and straight up lies. He has admitted as much.

See these websites for more info:

www.revoketheoscar.com

www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

I'm sorry for the somewhat political content for real, ya'll. I just feel like his fiction is something worth exposing.

brad cook

6. I've seen Roger and Me, read Downsize This and Stupid White Men, and enjoyed all three very much(especially Downsize This). I guess I'd call myself a fan, though I have yet to see Bowling for Columbine.

I dont think he was bitching in SWM as much as he was exposing things while making it funny at the same time. I for one think that he has a right to bitch about a presidednt cheating his way into office especially when he was on the campaigne team for an opposing party. I have never understood why nobody really cared/did anything about that. oh well.

7. Moore is an example that provides proof of two very important truths:

1. Documentaries can distort the truth. (Roger and Me supposedly had 50 hours of footage shot for it; only 2 was used.) It is incredibly easy to marshal evidence to prove any point, even if that point is completely absurd. (Example: the people who claim that man never walked on the moon.)

2. The conventional wisdom, while wrong much of the time, can also be correct. It's best to not put all of one's trust in one source, or one side.

8. Don't take him as gospel and you'll see he's a political entertainer.

He just happens to be a leftist.

I've read his books and seen his movies, and enjoyed all of them - although some of his arguements are easy to knock down without much thinking.

Either way, I'm a fan. I guess.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    In Bowling For Columbine, when he was trying to portray gun owners as lunatics... Why didn't he go into a Suburb and talk to a gun owner? He only talked to, or atleast put on the final copy, people who should not have guns.

He claims to be a person that looks at things from both sides, but he only shows idiots.

I'm sure my Step-Dad could tear him up on the gun issue.

10. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Ryan, I agree with alot of what he said about President Bush. In fact, he was simply restating alot of the things i disliked about our president to begin with. I dont remember much of the book, as i got it when it first came out and lost it soon after i finished, but one thing that stuck out in my mind was when he talked about racism. Now, anyone who knows me knows I'm extremly anti-racist, but his rant in that section pissed me off to a great degree. If i remember correctly he said something about only hiring black people to work for him from now on as opposed to white people. This just seemed a little ignorant to me. Even the girl i was dating at the time thought so (shes black). And Downsize This wa the movie of his i saw. I really liked that one. Good points though.

Dig, i'll have to check those sites out.

11. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    A most excelent point.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ryan,

When Moore came on Lou Dobbs Moneyline on CNN Dobbs asked him about charges of inaccuracies in "Stupid White Men." Moore's answer was as follows:

"You know, look, this is a book of political humor. So, I mean, I don't respond to that sort of stuff, you know," he said.

"Glaring inaccuracies?" Mr. Dobbs said.

"No, I don't. Why should I? How can there be inaccuracy in comedy?"

Interesting. Look at the websites I posted above, especially this one, and you'll see just how hypocritical Michael Moore is (especially his "fiction" diatribe at the Oscars). This man has no scruples when he decides he wants to prove a point, doesn't matter whether the point is accurate or not.

brad cook

ps - Anyone else a Dobbs fan? I've only seen him a couple of times but he seems to stay pretty objective and I love the way he doesn't let people get away with BS in his interviews.

13. I remember reading a rant of Moore's in which he said big business should go to hell for pushing small businesses around, and then said small businesses should go to hell for being racist. Both remarks were within a minute of one another, evidently.

14. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    yeah, its things like what you pointed out Peter, that give leftist a bad name. The man has some great points, just turns around and screws them up by trying to say to much.

And Mike. Why not talk to all the stupid people who shouldn't have guns? I'm not saying i agree with him, just playing devils advocate (i own a gun myself). But if we have so many people in the U.S. who are too stupid to own guns and use them properly, does it not make a little sense that the harm these people could do would far out-weigh the good any other citizen could do with their guns?

15. I wish he'd show the stupidity of guys in BMWs that don't use their turn signals and keep cutting me off.

That'd be comedy.

Because they're all in good ole "leftist" Boulder, CO.

Now where's my pokin' stik?

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I think the smart people with guns out number the crazy folk with guns though.

He did not talk to a single sane gun owner in that whole movie.

17. Charlton Heston isn't sane?

That was sarcasm.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    That whole clip with heston was a joke.

Heston was so disgusted with him, it was hilarious. He needed to talk to the average upper-middle class gun owning family... mine.

19. Edit in place, but see my previous statement about the "entertainment" value of the man (men?) in question.

20. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I never said that the sane gun owners in America didn't out number the insane, incompetent ones. I said that i believed the negative impact they could possibly have far outweigh the positive ones that the sane gun owners have.

I'm still all for the Second Amendment, because of the fact that it would be damn near impossible to get rid of all the guns in America. And if all the law-abbiding citizens turned thier guns in, the ones who would use their guns to harm others wouldn't turn them in. If guns were never allowed in the first place it would be a different thing. However i feel there needs to be a little more control over them. Whether or not that means new gun-control laws, or simply enforcing the ones already in existance.