Michel Alibo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jerry, Oct 23, 2005.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Any fans of bassist Michel Alibo out there? It's a rainy day here, so I'm digging through some of my old piles of C.D.'s, and grabbed Sixun's Lunatic Taxi......that led me to dig out some old Salif Keita & Manu Dibango albums with Michel's playing on them. Great feel, tone & taste! :bassist: I think the Sixun album is out of print, but if you see it in the used/cutout bin check it out.....some very nice grooves!!!
  2. lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    I'm a big fan of this guy, first because it's an awsome bassplayer and second because he comes from my island in the caribean ! :p

he's especially good when he plays latin jazz, or funk fusion, he took the best part in our traditionnal music to bring it to the nowdays'music

He plays often with a pianist called mario cannonge (a kind of local "Michel camillo/gonzalo rubalcaba") and with a band called Sakesho (with Andy Narell at steel drums), I strongly advice you to listen that if you don't already know it.

Of course his work with sixun is amazing too.

This guy is not enough known from the bassist community. he is just as good as Richard Bona or Etienne M'bappé, but he choosed another path in the music business. He's also very well known as a sideman for Zouk musik (french caribean dance music).

I have the chance to see him often when he's playing here, and each time I'm very impressed !
  3. I'm resurrecting this thread to keep redundancies to a minimum. :)

Anyone check out Michel's playing on Angelique Kidjo's album "Black Ivory Soul"? Unfortunately, most of the album is very afro-pop oriented and one track even features Dave Matthews (this is on Sony, after all). However, tracks 4, 6 and 10 are really standouts, especially from a bass-playing standpoint. It also features the excellent Vinicius Cantuaria, who's been dubbed the "Brazilian Bill Frisell".
    They're called "Tumba", "Refavela" and "Ominira", respectively.

Has anyone got the news on any recent music developments involving Michel Alibo? I love his touch and timing. On those tracks he lets loose and you can hear him really having fun with it. He shatters the idea that the bass should stay down low and not stick out too much. I love it! He's so confident and comfortable.

Here's a quick link for previews:
    amazon.com - Black Ivory Soul
  4. MixBass

MixBass Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    My first post, apologies if any errors ! There's some great Alibo on a drummer form Morocco's cd "Karim Ziad, Ifrikya" There's also a guy Linley Marthe, who's GREAT. I saw him w/ Zawinul last year and loved his playing. The Ziad cd is IMO, an incredible collision of ancient ethnic music meets future music. The Gnawa groove runs throughout. A great sibling of that disc is Nguyen Le, Maghreb & Friends. I believe they were done at close to the same time w/ most of the same cast. The only way to find them is through "ACT music" I believe. It takes some effort to get these disc's but if you love Salif and the like, I bet you'll love this.
  5. Welcome to TB, MixBass!
    Thanks for the info. It's just what I was looking for. I have some older Nguyên Lê on ACT but I haven't heard the newer ones. I'll definitely be checking them out. Thanks again!
  6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    +1, Thanks for the heads up!
  7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I just found out Sixun has a live CD and DVD coming out in a few weeks.:hyper:
  8. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    i met him in a club in Paris called the China club, i talked to him for half an hour, very cool friendly guy!
    in fact we were both there to watch Entiene Mbappe with Chic Hot, a great Parisian Fusion group, Entiene was kicking arse that night!:D
  9. MixBass

MixBass Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Hey all, let me know when you get Karims disc.Again, awesome !
    Etienne had a band "Ultramarine" ,who put out 2 cd's. Again , tough to find but early pioneers in the Afro/world/fusion thing. They're great discs. He has a new solo cd "Misiya", try "oplus.org" to find it.It's more funky'fusion than world but plenty good. Another must have IMO is Mokhtar Samba's "Dounia". Great blend of many African styles with jazz/drum n'bass, etc. Happy hunting !
  10. Awesome, guys! This will keep me busy for a while, for sure! :bassist:
  11. Good news to MIchel Alibo & Sixun Fans. They have come up with a 25th Anniversary live CD and the DVD is coming out in a couple of days.
    I have pre-ordered a copy from Audiophileimports.com --No, I am in no way associated with that company--