Michel Camilo "Calle 54" (DVD)... Anyone seen it? Reviews please.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by XavierG, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Any of you latin/cuban fans seen this movie? (Jim?)
  2. G

Apr 12, 2000
    The DVD is excellent and is a "must own" for bass players of every style. I assume you are referencing Anthony Jackson, and his performance with Michel Camilo simply shines. Anthony pulls technique form all over the place to get a plethora of bass sounds and feeling on just the one song. I watch it every day. Without fail. In a film of absolutley amazing work their performance stands out. I highly reccommend it.
  3. Amen. Nothing more I can add.
  4. Thanks , G. That's good enough an endorsement for me. I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon.com
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    X-man, you WON'T regret it....

....I'm still tryin' to recover from my first viewing several weeks ago!

AJ is amazing of course, but the entire movie is astounding. Everyone should own it...including myself (I steal my bandleader's copy :D).
  6. I got it a while back. Though I might enjoy it.
    Truly I was wrong. I love it. Not a bad performance in the movie.

Camillo gets such speed his hand becomes a blur.
    Just watched it again yesterday.
  7. I love it! Besides Mr. AJ, the film has a lot of great players including Andy Gonzalez and Marc Johnson.
  8. CARAMBA! I want to thank all of you for convincing me to buy this DVD. It is truly amazing. Because of the way I originally searched for it on the net, I was under the impression it was a feature on Michel Camilo. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that he is but one of many outstanding artists featured in this film. I'll list them here for anyone who might be considering this DVD:

Gato Barbieri
    Michel Camilo
    Chano Dominguez
    Paquito d'Rivera
    Eliane ELias
    Jerry Gonzalez
    Chico O'Farrill
    Tito Puente
    Bebo Valdes
    Chucho Valdes

This is truly a collector item, and if you're into any kind of jazz, you need to get a hold of this DVD.

BTW, I love AJ's Fodera -

9. try ebay...its going for$14-16.00
  10. Man, I don't mean to carry on about this DVD, but I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I don't know if you guys who own the DVD have taken the time to look at the "Bonus Material" but I have to tell you, the "Documentary on the History of Latin Jazz" as narrated by all these heavyweight musicians is priceless. Talk about indoctrination, these guys really get into detail about who, what when, and where Latin Jazz got started and how it continues to evolve. Truly entertaining and educational as well.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow, I must watch this immediately. I've been overseas for a year and I saw this on the video rack when I came back home but I didn't realize that it's all that you guys say it is. This just went to the top of my DVD want list.

brad cook
  12. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    The Director of "Calle 54" is Fernado Trueba, a spanish director. Not a musician, just a great music fan. http://www.clubcultura.com/clubcine/clubcineastas/trueba/

I think he got the Idea of the making "Calle 54" while doing the movie "two much". Filmed in miami, florida. In the opening(or closing┬┐?) scene there is a live perfomance of latin jazz. It really does sound awesome.

Some of the people from the film have gathered and formed a group also called "Calle 54". They tour and perform all over. They were here in Madrid in the summer. They say that ever since the film came they havent stop giging!! Which makes me even happier.