Michel Donato

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Yvon, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi guys,
    I was wondering, what do you think of Michel Donato, he played with Miles Davis (no recording that I know of), Oscar Peterson, Oliver Jones, Alain Caron...
    Anybody know him?
  2. Donato is a great bassist. I've been a fan of his for a long time. As far as playing with Miles, I'm not sure. The popular story is that Miles called him up to play with him, Donato thought it was a joke and hung up on him. Miles didn't call back. I'll verify the story and get back to you. He also plays in Montreal alot with pianist Jan Jarcyzk.
    Nickchalk you are studying with a buddy of mine , Eric C. Tell him Randy says hi.
  3. I just saw the movie THE SCORE last night at the Eatons Centre (woo hoo $3) and their was a brief clip of Donato playing in a jazz club. The movie is set in Montreal and unfortunately the jazz club doesn't really exist. I wish it did as it would have been one of the nicest clubs around! BTW Charnett Moffet is also in the film for about eight seconds.
  4. Cool Ed, I had seen that film a long time ago but couldn't remember the title. Now I can rent it and see it again.
  5. Hey guy,each person tath respond live in quebec.
    It's sad.
    Michel it's a fabulous player he have only disc that maybe the gringo can have more easlily is the live in japan whith oscar peterson.
    I saw donato two time live but it was after is acv he was not at the top of its shape but it provide good bass line. A talk whit him during the days and he told aloy of funny story.
  6. RMacBass

RMacBass Bass Commander Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Man, I know both of you too. Is it usually this Montreal-centric around here?

Back on topic, Michel Donato had a stroke a while back. Is he still playing around? I love that Bravo special with him and Alain Caron playing duo (album, too.)
  7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    He played a duo gig with young bassist Matthieu Bouchard this spring in Quebec City. (at L'autre Caserne)
  8. Hi Ross! Welcome to TB. Long time no see ;) Michel does a rehearsal band with a piano player I play with occasionaly. He's back playing again, but I haven't heard him in over a year.