1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michel Lumana: Congolese Rhythm and Groove

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This sounds fresh compared to a Western approaches.

JimK, kesslari, farshore and 6 others like this.
  2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    cool

3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks for that one, Doc. Hmm... interesting. Lumana has a rich, beautiful bass guitar sound and very fluid playing. Only to me that piece, though unmistakably of African origin, is characterized by its Western aspects.

No expert on Congolese music, nonetheless when I think of music from Congo, I think of dance-oriented styles. The examples I know range in form from the ultra, ultra deep to Western-influenced pop; but they all share the same basis of dance groove structures. Here are a few:

In any case, in my experience there are no bass guitarists like those from Africa. And their signature playing styles cannot be emulated convincingly by outsiders.

RandM and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Those are some great videos you shared. A lot of Congolese Pop sounds kind of like Salsa, but Salsa sounds very African. I think it is a case of music going back to source and reinforcing it. The same thing happened with Blues and music from the Sahel, especially Mali.

Snaxster likes this.
  5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks. It was my pleasure. Funny you mention that, because the other day I was listening to "Radio Mali", an anthology of historical tracks by Ali Farka Toure.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Thanks for sharing that. Nice clip, nice playing.

Dr. Cheese likes this.