1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Michel Petrucciani-Steve Gadd- Anthony Jackson Trio Live in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm listening to this recording right now and I think it's amazing. Needless to say, the musicianship on this recording is off the chart.

AJ's playing is full of subtle nuances, but his solo on "Little Peace in C for U" sounds really muddy to my ears. I think it has less to do with the quality of the sound, which works fine in the ensemble, but with the fact that it's all played on a very low register.

Opinions on the recording and impressions on the solo?

2. This is a nice album. The individual playing is undoubtedly amazing, but the sound of the ensemble is equally amazing. In regard to AJ's solo, I think this is one of the FEW solos he's recorded. (I heard he hardly takes solos.) It is a little muddy. I like how he plays some of those low dissoonant notes in his solo. It has the effect of creating tension in the harmony rather than a "solo" per se.

3. I really enjoy listening to the interplay between these performers in the intimate set. As far as AJ's solo, I don't critique anyone, now if you wanna put one up your own for us to potshot go for it..

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't critique anyone either, but I think I'm entitled to an opinion.

And I wouldn't put anything up for people who have a "pot shooting" agenda before even hearing anything.

Jeez, I could swear I was praising AJ...:rolleyes:

5. Great recording. Before getting it I didn't know what a fine composer Petrucciani was. I also like this recording because it proves that the electric bass can sound awesome in a straight ahead jazz format.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Anyone have Petrucciani's Both Worlds? I almost picked it up this weekend...
    Both Gadd & Jackson + Bob Brookmeyer on valve 'bone, etc.
    "Looks" like a winner.