1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

michele stodart - the magic numbers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funkytoe, Feb 26, 2008.

1. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I just saw this band on Jools Holland's television show.

The bassist, michele stodart, has the most incredible tone and is extremely musical in her playing. I usually don't rave about other bassists, but her playing sent me on an internet search for more info.

She is listed as an endorser for Orange Amps and she does play some on You Tube. But on the Jools Holland program I saw, she was playing a jazz bass through a head that I did not recognize and a Gibson Gold Tone Cabinet. I WANT THAT RIG!!!

If anyone knows what head and cab combo she is using in this performance, please let me know. Best bass tone of the year IMO.

2. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
  3. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks robgo -- but you just sent me to another one of my own posts. I eventually determined that the head was an old Simms Watts tube head -- as used by Mick Ronson. Sounds great for bass.

4. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
    Ha! I didn't realise it was your post!!!!!!!! That's what you get for answering old threads!! She's a great bassist though, going to see them next month, I'll see if she's still using the same set up.

5. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Yes, please update and let us know. I saw her about 3 years ago and she had an Orange head and 2 1x15 cabs. Likely received an endorsement from Orange when their success started to happen. Sounded good -- but not GREAT like that Jools Holland show. I just really loved how that head/cab cut through with Jazz bass. Would love to see her pull out that Simms Watts again.

6. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    So glad to see this old post bumped. I saw the Magic Numbers a few times live in NYC and Michelle blew me away. What a tone and sense of melody and rhythm! I was just mesmorized by her.

7. davenport

davenport

May 15, 2011
    Michele uses a Japanese Jazz bass with a G printed on it from a previous band name "Guess". The bass belongs to the bass player from that Guess. Michele simply retained it when the previous player left the band prior to the formation of the magic numbers.

The Gibson Amp belonged to the magic numbers manager, a session guitarist called Paul Noble, (previously of the Warm Jets). The amp is designed for guitar featuring a 10 inch and 12 inch speaker. I believe it is called a "Gold Tone" These amplifiers suffer from power supply problems and often require a complete replacement transformer of an enlarged size.

see here: Gibson Goldtone Tube Guitar Amplifiers Hands-On Review at Musician's Friend | Musician's Friend

After some touring with the British band travis, The Magic Numbers employed some of travis' technicians and a michele pursued an endorsement deal with Orange as a result of Travis' Bass tech's relationship with the brand. I too believe her tone suffered after moving to Orange. As I understand it, the reliability of the orange amps made it tough for the band to use on tour and often the orange amp would be set up on stage, but with an ashdown amp setup behind it and plugged in.

Michele uses avalon DI's in the studio.

8. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California