Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mic'ing a live rig

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BFunk, Apr 9, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Hi all -

I know this is not exactly the right forum for this, but it is the closest I could find.

I would like to mic my cab for live performances. The cab is an SWR Megaliath 8x10 w/horn. I play medium size clubs in a high energy r&b/rock/ska band.

I would like something that is durable, and preserves the punch and tone of my sound.

I have found these suggestions:

AKG D112
    Shure Beta 52
    Shure KSM 27
    Shure KSM 32

Any others? Comments on these?

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Shure SM57 is one of the workhorses of the industry. Placement of the mic will also affect your sound in the PA. Brightness comes from pointing the mic directly at the cone, and you get warmth by placing it facing the speaker (usually about 45 deg against the front of the cab). I suggest facing the speaker with 10" speakers to keep from getting too thin.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

In a studio test, I tried a 58 'cause we happened to have one there. Not bad sounding. It was just a little undefined and lost a lot of the punch. I use 57s and 58s on stage all the time. Bass happens to be a big part of our bands sound, so I really need something that has a fuller richer sound and more punch.

4. [Mills Lane voice on]
    I'll allow it.
    [Mills Lane voice off]

5. My D112 is great. You may also want to look at an AT PRO 25 for a cheaper solution. I wouldn't put my KSM32 near my amp, unless it was at a pretty good distance. Maybe on a lower volume, scooped mid rig, but definately not on mine.

The KSM 32 is awesome on just about everything else though.

I'd stick to a dynamic like the D112 or the Beta 52 for "punchiness."

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Thanks for the info!!

7. I like the D112, it has a little bump in the upper mids that works well for bass but which I don't like for kick drum. Check out the Sennheiser 421 too. A well proven workhorse that's useful for a lot of stuff. It's got a really natural response. I find a lot of "dedicated" kick drum mics have really scooped mids, kind of a preset kick drum EQ. The Beta 52 and Sennheiser 602 both exhibit this. They are wonderful for kick drums but I really don't like them on bass. EV's 408 (now called 468 I believe) is another nice mic for bass. I actually quite like the lowly 57 on bass. Not by itself though. I find it works really well added to a DI signal.

8. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    I would stick to dynamics for live sound (that means no to the Shure KSMs, they're condensors). I've used a Beta 52 on my Ampeg B15N in the studio before, and it works great. Didn't notice any of the mid-scooping mentioned above. I have also heard many great things about the D112 on bass, but it is a little more expensive than the 52.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I use a sure sm-48 to mic my cab, ive never had a problem or issue with my tone using it.