micing-up the upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Paul Armfield, Jan 18, 2000.

1. Paul Armfield

Paul Armfield

Jan 13, 2000
    I've just come across a set up by SDsystems which consists of 4 piezos (PU4), a mic (LCM100) and a blender preamp (BS2), they look very impressive and are apparently used by Marcus Miller, has anyone tried them, and if so how do they rate? I'm desperate to find a mic/piezo combination, and the online realist/fishman debate has left me blindfolded with a pin poised. I play a 3/4 upright of unknown origin, with a couple of unidentified slot-in piezos, through a ART valve compressor/preamp, into a Gallien Krueger MB150s. It sounds sweet as it is but could be improved with a little more body sound. Any advice welcome, but I'd ideally like to know about the SDsystems set-up. Cheers, Big Paul.
  2. I heard of some guy's using a lapel mic (sm98 I think)check out "off topic"...slappin cats.hope this helps
  3. porkchop5

Mar 1, 2000
    I'm using a set of BB-jrs- they have a tremendous amount of low end. What I did was remove the bridge, and then using a router, I cut two 1/2 in slots into the feet of the bridge. The BB-jrs are sold seperately- so I had to buy a universal 1/4 inch jack adaptor and then join the two pickups at the bass feet together --I can say that I play through a Hartke 4/10 with a GK head(no Compression) And If I want-- I can shake the windows right out of my house.
    Check them out. They are a little work-but they really rip!!
  4. mavbass

Dec 11, 2001
    ive got a pu-4 peizo on my URB. im happy with it, it kicks the fishman that made my bass sound like an EBass, tha output isnt very high but with my fishman pro eq ive now got the exrta oommmf i need.
  5. Hi Paul,saw your post and thought it may be easier to answer online cos we seem to get clashing gig dates.I know you said you were going to try the `Highlander`did that not work out,or is it the mic system you specifically require?
    Have you looked at the system that Bob Gollihur retails from his site,it has had some excellent reviews. Some posters on this board use the setup and i think some are customized to their own requirements,so you may get some comments on those.