Micing vs. DI

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 9, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey, I really wasn't sure if this would be better in the amps forum or here, so if I put it in the wrong forum, the mods have permission to beat me. :D

In all seriousness though, which do you prefer? All of the soundmen/studios I've worked with have usually either ran me direct through the balanced output of my amp or a DI box. I did play with a band once in which we miced my cabinet.

I really don't have any specific reason for this thread other than curiosity. Which do you prefer and why. Any sound guys want to put in their two cents? Do you find one approach easier to mix than another?
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Both, and then blend the signals to your liking.
  3. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    From a soundman's perspective, most of the time I'd prefer a direct out pre-EQ. That way, I can EQ as appropriate to the house sound and overall mix and you can have your own sound onstage. If it is more of a festival situation with lots of backline changes, I'll go the mic route and position as appropriate. I'll get some mic bleed, but I can deal with that.

As far as recording goes, I want both a pre-EQ DI and a mic'ed cabinet. If I have enough mics and channels, I might even close mic the cabinet and from a few feet away to get a little bit of ambience.

4. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    i`m usually good with either, at my home studio so far i just go direct, and it sounds good. when i`ve gone to the pro`s they usually direct and mic. and that sounds good. i allways like it when someone else good shapes my tone because it`s cool to hear your bass sound different than how you allways hear it.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    DI is probably quicker and easier. It takes some experience and some expertise to mic a bass cab "well". With a guitar cab, it's pretty easy, you just stick a '57 a few inches from the speaker and you're done. With a bass, it's usually not that easy. But, if you're willing to take the time to experiment with various mics and various positions, you can get some real nice results.