Mick Karn - on new Kate Bush album

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Feb 23, 2005.

1. For some reason I've just been getting back into Kate Bush - she was an old fave when I was going through my teens (during the 1980s, showing my age here) but she's just brilliant and I know there are hundreds of artists who literally wouldn't be here today without her - anyway - her new album is due out this year and has some very classy guys on it including some stuff recorded with the late Michael Kamen, (writer of countless Hollywood soundtracks and who also did the 'Symphony & Metallica' album) she's also been working with bassist Mick Karn, drummer Stuart Elliott and percussionist Peter Erskine - I love her voice so I'm really looking forward to hearing this - I have to admit those clunky 80s keyboards with her poetical whimsy are definitely my bag baby!

Hope this is of interest to a few of you Brit bass player fans - cheers

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'm a huge Kate Bush fan. She has always had a great ear for bass and bass players: Eberhard Weber, Del Palmer, Mick Karn.... I didn't know she had a new album coming out.
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Put me down as a Kate Bush fan: Mark Radciffe counts the days on his Radio 2 show til she phones in!

I'll be interested to hear her new album - although I'm not holding for my breath for it to come out this year.
  4. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Babooshka has long been one of my favorite bass songs. Looking forward to the new disc, thanks for the heads up.
  5. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Kate Bush with Mick Karn - nice to see that happening again!
    Kate is hands down one of my biggest influences. Funny how many female artists of the last decade wore Kate Bush influence on their sleeves, but always denied her as an influence in interviews... and I played with one of the biggest of these singers, so I know...
    Kudos to Andre 3000 of Outkast for giving Kate credit as a huge influence.
  6. Well it was actually the other guy in Outkast, but doesn't matter: http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/0/40C5578BC01629DC80256DEB007525F7?opendocument

I hadn't heard about Kate Bush in aaages, and wondering what she's been up to I did a google search like two weeks ago (where I also came across that article above), but it didn't say anywhere that there was an album release due this year. Great news if it's true! I didn't like her "Red Shoes" album much, though. "Hounds Of Love" was great, and so was the freaky "The Dreaming". And I love the fretless bass on the "Never For Ever" one:)
  7. The album is definitely coming - she's still signed to EMI - there was a big article in Music Week (the UK music industry rag) quite recently - she was on the cover - I hope it's got some good songs on as no matter how good the production is it's her songs that are the killers - I downloaded a curious track yesterdayu with her and PRINCE dueting - it starts all mellow then goes into a typical Paisley Park rhapsody...pretty cool though.

8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I love Kate Bush...Cannot wait for something new !
  9. genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Well, it WAS ACTUALLY Andre 3000 who said "Kate Bush opened my mind up..." The article in the link you gave shows a photo of Andre 3000, but attributes the quote to Big Boi. Looks like someone made a mistake with this article, or, as I hope, both Outkast gentlemen love Kate.
    Check the facts more closely when correcting people.
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Keep us updated about the album. Kate Bush is one of the truly gifted artists of the world.
  11. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    New Kate Bush album? I salivate at the thought. It's been too damned long.
  12. Sounds good, i like the way Mick Karn works with singers...
  13. Only if you say "please"! :p :D
  14. genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
  15. I'll just add too that WAS Andre 3000 - and it would be weird if Big Boi suddenly started doing all that falsetto stuff :meh: - it's pretty obvious that Andre's got some of her style in his singing.
  16. GUYS! I said it didn't matter!! I didn't insist on that Big Boi dude being the one with the Kate Bush influence, alright? *rolls eyes*
  17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    GIRLS! GIRLS!..........calm down......You're ALL pretty.

18. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo! Get her! :spit:

He he ;)
  19. *lmao* :D

Back to the topic: I wonder if Kate Bush likes helicopters; There are at least three KB songs with those noises in them. Wouldn't surprise me to hear some more helicopter on the new album :) (What the f***??)

There's one thing I find quite interesting about the "Hounds Of Love" album: It doesn't even have one single crash cymbal on it! In most songs you hear 20+ crash cymbals just during the first 60 seconds!
  20. Another big Kate Bush fan here.

My "Hounds of Love" Cd doesn't have any credits listed... can anyone help me out and tell me who is playing that fretless on "Mother Stands for Comfort"? Also, any idea what bass he/she is playing?

That is it for me... when I think fretless, that is the tone I am aiming for.