1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mick Quinn of Supergrass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Precision101, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only guy on here who listens to alternative rock/britpop group Supergrass but their bassist is kick a**!
    He's a great player and has great bass lines in his music with SG. He is very over shadowed
    And if you don't know who Supergrass is definitely check them out! If you do know who
    Mick Quinn is give me your opinions!

2. Supergrass is is awesome.

3. Great band, and a great guy.

4. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I like the bassline in Brecon Beacons and Mary. Very pentatonic.

5. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    love em, was very glad to be able to see them live a few yeas ago,never thought id be able to here in the states

6. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

You saw them in the states??!?! Where! Very rare for this band!

7. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I feel like Supergrass has covered almost every genre of music there is. Ever. They are my favorite band of like all time.

8. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    I remember back when I was a kid watching Muchmusic (Canadian MTV) one time they had a video in rotation.

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    One of my favorite gigs ever was opening for Supergrass in a packed club in Boston. I LOVE that first album and the two or three that followed were right up there as well. This was on the "In It For The Money"tour and I really felt that Mickey was holding the whole thing together. He is a few years older than Gaz and Danny and had been playing longer than them. Danny has tremendous flair as a drummer, a lot of fun to watch, but his time was a bit suspicious at that point and Mickey really held the tempos in place for him while singing all those falsetto harmonies. He had a great, driving P bass tone.

They were lovely guys as well. High as monkeys, very friendly, affable fellas to hang out with.

Such a shame about Mickey's health problems, but if you haven't heard the Hot Rats album that Gaz and Danny did in his absence, I highly recommend it. ever wonder what the Beastie Boys would have sounded like if done by the Who on the Sell Out album?

10. What band were you in then? I'm pretty sure I was at that show. I saw them three times at the Paradise. Mick actually put me on the guest list the first time after I emailed the band in desperation as I couldn't get a ticket. Another reason to love Mick. And the Hot Rats album is fantastic.

11. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
    I remember (hazily, from way back when) that he properly tore it up live on some kind of old Ibanez-esque looking thing (Roadster?)

12. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've been a fan ever since In It For The Money came out. What a fantastic album, from beginning to end! Mick's playing has always been pretty solid, and he always impressed me with his taste and restraint in what was essentially a power trio (at least at the start).

As for basses? IIRC, he's been playing Ibanez Roadstars for quite some time. Essentially, it's a P-Bass copy. Funny though, I have a strong recollection of seeing Supergrass play "St. Petersburg" live on one of the late night shows, and for the life of me I can't remember what bass he was playing on that appearance. But in the video he's actually playing what looks like a Gibson EB-3.

Mick's actually on Twitter, too. He doesn't talk bass so much though, but he is fairly active.

13. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Does he use Rotosounds? I swear on mansize rooster that a definite rotosound tone.

14. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    All of their albums are just genius. From Planets to in it for the money to Diamond hoo ha and of course I should coco.

15. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    When I first started playing I remember listening to 20ft. Halo and thinking it was the coolest bass line I had ever heard. Also Mary, Sofa of my lethargy, . He's got a great style very melodic like McCartney, only it's very rocking too. My favorite part is that he has only ever played that one Ibanez bass. Doesn't get bogged down with gear choices. Wish I was like that!

16. KOLAD

KOLAD

Feb 14, 2014
    New England
    Supergrass is my favorite band of all time. They've always been my own personal private place of peace and happiness.

17. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Such an underrated band. Me too

18. KOLAD

KOLAD

Feb 14, 2014
    New England
    I've seen then and met them many times, in so many different types of venues. Every time they came over to the US to do a small tour and they came within a few hours of me I was there.
    It was like my Christmas! :)

19. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

I wish they were still together. They were such a great band. I know they got their solo stuff going on

20. What? You didn't see the thread on Mick that I had started a little while ago? (Only 10-or-so years) ;)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/mick-quinn-supergrass-89140/

Shame Supergrass disbanded and Mick's 'only' playing guitar in his current band.

Cheers, V.