1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MICRO AMP DECISION

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moe.moe, Dec 12, 2011.

1. moe.moe

moe.moe Gold Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Ok my fellow TB'ers....

I'm going from my GK 1001 RB -II to a micro....

I have narrowed it down to two micro bass amp choices..

I'm thinking about the GK MB FUSION @ 500 watts with the tube preamp..... or the GK MB 800 solid state which has some very impressive reviews....

However, I have been checking out the CARVIN BX 500 simply because of the tube pre it has, as well as the on board compressor and the capability of taking it down to 2 ohms !

:help: SO PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE GUYS and GALS....:help: with any opinions as well as advice....

Thanks in advance everyone !!!

peace ~

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Just for clarification, are you talking about the MB Fusion and MB800?

Or Fusion 550 and 800RB?

3. He's considering the MBFusion and MB800. The MB800 would sound closer to the 1001 RB II from my experience with the MB500. That would probably be the way to go.

Recent posts about some DI issues with the MB800 (no ground lift of something). Always better to wait on the second or third month of production with the GK stuff until they get that sort of thing sorted out. Seems like a few revisions typically before they get it all settled out.

If you have 2ohm needs, and are on any sort of budget, the little Carvin seems bit of a nobrainer. I think they are under $400 at this point. Of course, they are worth next to nothing resale versus the GK's.

4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It doesn't say MB or RB...just Fusion and 800.

In either case, I edited my OP asking for clarification.

6. I used all my years of college to figure out that when he said he was looking for a micro amp, that is what he meant:p

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Thanks! What would I do without you? ;)

8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    I knew there was a reason I should have gone to grad school.

9. :p

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    You might want to look into the new Glockenklang head too.
    It's just come out.

11. I guess if he wanted a totally different tone than his GK, and wanted to spend a ton of money, that would be an option. I'm assuming he likes his GK and wants something smaller. Thej Glock tone is quite different from the much punchier, dirtier, aggressive GK tone IMO and IME.

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think that you can get a very GK-like tone from the Glock, with the addition of the Glockenklang clean, but I do see your point.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Carvin performs spectacularly and cost 379.00 (new) because of no middle-man. You could buy one BX500 AND one BX250 for the price of many new micros. The sound/features are gravy, the value is amazing.

:bassist:

14. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Your title says Micro Amp Decision.. So i was thinking you are open to different choices..

I have had FANTASTIC results with my Genz Streamliner 900 and Shuttle amps... They travel everywhere with me.. Overseas in a gig bag of road case. and on my local gigs. Never a hiccup.. Hot 104 degree outdoor gigs in Texas summer festival gigs to Cold gigs i did in the French Alps this past year.. Best and most reliable amps that i have ever used and they are light enough and loud enough to travel in a suitcase, a gig bag or whatever your preferences are. Just saying

15. moe.moe

moe.moe Gold Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Hey svtb15 ,l
    Funny you should mention Genz Benz.
    I really have no experience with those amps, however just out of curiosity, I was checking them out online and reading some reviews in the micro GB and every review was stellar!
    I only narrowed down my decision to a GK simply because that's all I have ever played along with using a GK 410 NEO 4 ohm cabinet currently with my 1001 RB-II head.
    all that said.....

Genz Benz is actually one I am NOW considering.
    So thanks for the info and your input
    I greatly appreciate it !

peace~

16. Genz is also great stuff. If you can handle a little more size, the Shuttle Max 9.2 is superb, and very lightweight.

Not a huge fan of the Shuttle 9 myself, but still a nice option that can hang easily with the GKMB500... not quite as big down low, and bright, but not as 'GK aggressive' up top.

The Streamliner is a totally different thing... extremely big, wide, smooth and tubey.

17. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I can second the Genz stuff .. I like the 9.0 myself.. For what uit's worth there are a few of them on sale in the TB classifieds .. along with a MkBass LM II and a Aguilar TH 500. Just go through the pages. The TB classifieds have been pretty good for me.. I have gotten to try some gear I would not have been able to afford otherwise.

18. Granted I only have less than an hour with the GK MB500 (and NEO-410), I find it not as GK-aggressive as the 1001RB-II. Haven't tried the MB FUSION yet.

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 is the one I have and I can say that it's very versatile for it's size. It's bigger and heavier than the MB500 but not by a lot. It can get both clean and grindy tones. Powerful EQ. Top notch build quality. I like the clicky knobs and the tube grind.

Whatever you choose, do be on the lookout in the TB Classifieds. I got my Shuttle from here and the experience has been great so far :)

19. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    You are welcome.. I didnt want to muddy your decision process.. And i can only speak and suggest things that i have direct experience with.. So that is why i mentioned Genz Benz.
    Kjung is better than me a describing the fine details of the difference between the ShuttleMax and Streamliner series..

But I will say the Streamliner is Wide, Big sounding, Lightweight with a round tube like tone, organic sounding , while the Shutle MAx is punchy with the FET /S/S channel with Many EQ options that are footswitch Controllable. Also lightweight in a slight bigger housing..

Streamliner Link Streamliner Series | GENZ BENZ

ShuttleMax Link Shuttle Series | GENZ BENZ

I think if you want to get closer to a more GK type of tone you may want the Shuttlemax.

But if you want more of an Old Tube amp sound on steroids without the weight maybe the Streamliner is the way to go for you.

Just two great options that should not be overlooked.. And Genz has pretty incredible customer service if it should ever be needed.

20. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Hard to beat a Little Mark III, IMO.