Micro Amp Head questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by calmb4tehpwn, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hey folks. Haven't been around for awhile, but I have a few questions.

Here's what I got:
    A full rig: Acme Low B4 x 2 (monster full stack), with a GK 2001RBP preamp and a crown drivecore 1500. Tons of power and not fun to drag around with me.
    I got the rig when I was with a metal band that liked to play volume wars. I decided to win.

Around that time, I got a micro stack. Someone here on TB had a pet project, where they took a couple Quantum guitar cabs, a 4x6 and a 2x8 and load it with bass drivers. It sounds great, and I picked them up for pretty cheap, but I can't exactly push 1700 watts through them. I'm looking to pick up a little travel amp head to rock with it. I have no idea what sort of power it needs, but I can check to see if he mentioned in the thread I bought it from.

Anyways, looking based on price. I really want the cheapest mini head I can find. Just looking for something I can bring to my buddy's house to jam with, so nothing fancy.

Thanks guys!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What impedance and how many cabs? The Genz Benz Shuttles, GK MBseries, and Ampeg PF micros are all good, come in wattage sizes, and are easy to find used.

3. The thread I bought it on, he said it'll run 160-180 RMS, and 200-220 peak.

He also suggested a head, in the thread he was selling it on >.<
    He suggested the GK MB200, which doesn't look like a bad price, at about 160 used.

Anything else out there in that style? Maybe a little cheaper?

Thanks, guys.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, that's about as small and cheap as you are going to find for good quality&#8212;but one never knows what will wash up on the shores of evil bay.

Don't you want a little more headroom?

5. The cabs get pretty loud without too much effort. I don't imagine I'll be pushing the amp to it's limit to get the sound I need, so headroom isn't much of an issue. But if that's about as inexpensive as I'll see, I'll shoot for that.

Appreciate it! And hopefully the next time I ask a question, I wont answer it myself first.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021