1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MICRO BASS, 22-inch scale!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlbertoRigoni, Mar 23, 2013.

1. AlbertoRigoni

AlbertoRigoni Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Hello there!
    Have you ever heard about Micro Bass? 22 inch scale instrument! Crazy! But it sounds pretty cool!
    That's my video review of the Micro Jazz and Micro Elephant (fretless)!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6WEbfQuso
    Cheers!

Alberto

2. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Woah, man, this actually really does sound like a 60s jazz, how did they pull it off? It just sounds way floppier, obviously, but it is still beyond me.
    Also, your right hand technique is a lot like mine, guess that's also why I find it sounds familiar.

3. AlbertoRigoni

Dec 20, 2009
    Yes, you're right! Also I find very interesting the sound of the fretless micro with the piezo, what do you think?

4. subscribed

5. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I haven't played a lot of fretless, but now that I listen to it again, it seems to be pretty fat sounding, but again, rather floppy, but that floppiness seems to make the string meow against the fretboard more, so it seems that mwah sound is way easier to produce on this bass? What's sustain like on it?

6. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    is there some point to a 22" scale bass?..

7. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    If you play jazz or have small fingers, you bet :D Also possibly good as a travel bass, but wouldn't count on it being good for children, because neck is pretty wide, so it's obviously directed at older audience :D Also, how much do these cost? It'd be interesting to see a six string version, considering the scale, it'd be a specially calibrated bass that's smaller than any standard guitar. Also, what's the string gauge on these things, is it just a 5 string set without the top string?

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
  9. mr.gone

mr.gone

Jan 23, 2011
    Saint Paul, MN
    I like 'em both. The fretless seemed to have a better overall presence no matter what settings you had for the pickups, while the jazz model seemed like it needed both pickups running to get a full sound.

I am an adult with very small hands -- even the Ibanez Mikro bass at 28.75 inches can require me to make compromised adjustments in fingering on the lower frets. So I can see the appeal of a 22-inch neck. The fretless style seems like it might even be easier than the fretted -- less of a worry about clanging on frets.

But as InternetAlias asked -- how much?

10. AlbertoRigoni

Dec 20, 2009
    Regarding the fact I wrote revolutionary on the description it's because they use standard gauge (120-60 on 4 string) so it's like a normal bass. Regarding the use, I would consider them as a backup bass. In my case I will bring the fretless to gig because it's enough as far as I play just some songs with fretless.
    I know they make also 5 string, no 6 I think
    About the price, the Mini Jazz is 700 euro less or more, the Elephant 1200 (it's more sophisticated..)

11. Have you tried Simandl fingerings? I know plenty of small children and women who have no problem getting around on upright. I just don't see the appeal of these mini basses other than traveling.

12. mr.gone

mr.gone

Jan 23, 2011
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hi -- no, haven't tried Simandl fingerings. That's the technique for upright, correct? I've been going to Scott Devine's bass lessons page and trying to learn all the various positions for arpeggios and some of them are just making me slide the hand from one note to the next because I can't reach the stretch. Like a C major 7 starting with the index finger.

I'm not trying to go for anything but a 1-2-4 style on the lower portion, and even so ... anyway, you get my point. I think it's just a matter of learning the fretboard well enough that I know where to go to find the right note without an impossible stretch or something that causes a distracting sliding sound.

13. There is nothing wrong with adopting an alternate fingering strategy that better suits your hand. Simandl uses 1-2-4 for most of the fingerboard. Whole steps would be 1 to 4.

I'd be wary of anyone asking you to do a maj7 stretch across two strings, if that's what you mean. There is really no reason to ever do a stretch like that in low positions outside of some sort of effect imo.

14. How do I get one and How much are they?

15. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I converted an Epiphone Les Paul Express 22" scale guitar to a bass using Rotosound Tru-Bass 30" strings string-through, all in for $159.89 US, came out pretty good.

LP Bass convert.