1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Micro-Cube Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mannysilvers, Jan 19, 2012.

1. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    I have a Roland Micro-Cube RX bass amp that I keep next to my desk just to practice sometimes, and I'm having a problem with the EFX knob. Normally when the knob is all the way counter-clockwise there is supposed to be no effects on the signal, but when I have it like that I'm getting a ridiculous chorus effect, and I've noticed the other functions of the knob are very off from the labeling on the amp as well. It's very annoying because I can't get a clean signal! Kind of weird practicing jazz standards with some flanger. I don't know if it's a problem with the actual pot or something else. Anyone have any solutions?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

May be a bad pot. Not sure if removing the knob and reseating it in the proper position will help.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I have that same amp, and a similar problem. With the knob turned all the way off I still get the slightest hint of efx. Mine is not as severe as your sounds, so I've just lived with it. I never found a user fix, and never contacted Roland about it as it's minor, but noticeable if I listened for it.

Something I've noticed on mine is... depending on what amp I have the modeling knob set to can have a bearing on how noticeable it is. Maybe that helps you....

4. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    Hmmm maybe, but it's a pretty intense chorus sound. And I did try resetting the knob but that didn't fix anything.

5. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I think at the end of the day... there's actually something not working right with both our amps. You should probably contact Roland about it. Keep us posted if you take that route....

6. Kaileen

Kaileen

Dec 13, 2011
    how do these amps sound? do they have decent low end? has anyone compaired it to the HOG30? i'm looking into battery powered amps, and could use some input. cheers,

7. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I actually own both the Roland Micro Cube RX and the Pig Nose Hog 30. Dates back to a time I was playing in the Park, on the subway, and on street corners with some other folks, and needed something battery powered.

They are both "small" in sound. Not anything like a small combo amb that you plug into the wall. But when you need battery powered stuff, there's just not a lot out there, so you can't be too choosey.

All that said, I'd easily go with the Roland. Take AA batteries that last a long time, has the drum machine thing, efx, smaller and lighter... just a better buy for the money.