1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Micro head with Fender Bassman tone stack sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Type-55, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Does one exist?? Please no tube vs SS chatter.
    Which brand has the closest sound?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I don't know of any. The Markbasses would be described as generally smooth and warm but still don't sound like a bassman. Too heavy in the lows for one thing. While not a micro, the Hartke LH500 (and 1000), use the fender tonestack and are generally warmer, not too "modern" sounding. Probably get you closer than a micro.

3. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    This could be tough.
    How about a mini Alembic F2B and a SWR headlight amp?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    An Alembic pre probably get you closer than anything. I've tried one before, F1X I think, it's been a long time. Was pretty good, still missing a little something I'd attribute to a tube power section but an Alembic pre and small, light poweramp probably get you 80-85% of a bassman.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My guess is GK with 'contour activated.

6. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Love the Alembic I once had.

7. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    What about the Ashdown mi550?
    I had the ABM 400 and although not a Bassman it was fat and warm.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't think there's a single micro head on the market with a Fender tone stack. About the smallest head I can think of that does is the Hartke LH500, and it's not a micro at all.

9. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I knew this was not going to be easy. I know a Fender TS is not available in a micro amp.
    Looking for a micro with the closest tone to the Fender TS.
    Appreciate all the comments. Any comments on the Ashdown mi550?

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Haven't heard that particular amp but "fat and warm" describes the sort of default tone of most every Ashdown I've heard. May be able to get close with some manipulation of the eq, have to try for yourself.

The ampeg pf miniheads don't sound like a Fender but do rather well the classic ampeg tube head sound. Don't know if you could tweak them enough to get away from that, they don't have much eq.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Isn't much to the Fender tone stack either ;) That said, it doesn't really behave like a Fender tone stack. You can get in the ballpark with the PF tone stacks, but I don't know about a dead on match.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya.:p The 500 with the mid shift could maybe be bent a little closer? Haven't messed with them enough to know, just a curious few minutes at the store. They do pretty much speak Ampeg though. Good stuff.

13. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    If a warm, fat, round tube type tone is what your after you might want to check out the Genz Benz Streamliner. I know it's not got the fender tone stack, but it has a warm, fat tone. It comes in 600 and 900 watts. I have the 600 and love it.

14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I was wondering same thing...and then it struck me

Want a Fender tonestack?.....I wonder what Fender has?

what do yah know found one. Not a micro, but its a straight forward rack mount.
    The Fender TB-600

Here is a Quote from the description

"The key to the TB-600 bass amp head's smooth tone-shaping is a passive tone stack, the backbone of the classic Fender sound"

might be able to test one at a local GC store

Keep in mind it would look awesome to get a tolex covered case with chrome corners, so when its mounted it looks like a head.

it looks like a standard 2U head, but dont sqeeze it in a 2U rack,
    the 2 pre tubes and amp will get hot, if it has a fan it still needs space to pull air
    get a 4U rack and put vented spacers to make the front look nice. And give room under and on top for air to flow.

order a custom 4U rack and use these 1U spacers

like this

[​IMG]

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Um, Bogey, the TB600 is 48 lbs. I don't think that quite qualifies it as a micro, or even a light lead sled ;)

16. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Erm possibly the Ashdown superfly u can probs get that thing to sound like anything!

Personally I think there over-technical for what its for but there we go...

17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Ahhhhh ####! Your right Jimmy I didn't look at the weight and yah not micro.

But yet there is still hope from our friends at Orange.
    2 options both micro, and tube pre.11 pounds is that better or what, I would say,... wish I could lose 37 pounds that fast;)

The 500watt Terror Bass 500
    The 1000watt Terror Bass 1000

anyhoo...... another amazing quote

"Class D solid state power section and the same preamp as the all-tube AD200B UK bass amp."

woo hoo:hyper: I know for a fact the AD200 uses a passive tone stack, so the terror has got it too
    here is a schematic of the 200 pre.

18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Actually, the TB600 is 32 lbs. but still far from micro.

Check out the Fender TV combos.

19. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Thanks for the comments. Weight is an issue.
    Looking for comments on the Ashdown mi550.
    Owned as Ashdown ABM 400 and really like it.
    I know it's not a Fender TS but nice.